• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column bearing replacement?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
Steering column bearing replacement.

Anyone tackled this job on their own? The FSM says to remove the column from the Jeep. I can see the thing. It's just beyond the turn signal cam gismo.

Any hints on removing the column? Wierd fasteners/clips I should be aware of?

What year? The older GM style tilt wheel columns have a problem where the 4 bolts holding the knuckle get loose and the steering wheel gets floppy. Kind of a pain to tear into, but the fix is basically add locktite to the bolts and retorque. I did mine about 2 years ago and it took about 2 hours, taking my time and a few pictures along the way.

I pulled a good one out of a JY in about 20 minutes and put it in my '88, I got lucky the key came with it. (its two bolts right under the dash, two more by the pedals and one on the intermediate shaft in the engine bay, take the wires off the connectors on the column, and give it a good pull. and its all yours.)
Awhile back I went through trying to fix a tilt column, then getting rid of that and having a regular column put that one on to find out it was "loose", Got lucky with my JY find. Good Luck.

Thanks. That helps. I can see most of that stuff, but you know how it is when you are standing on your head. LOL.

Do I disconnect the steering shaft itself, or just slide the column out around it?

And, isn't there some linkage to the floor shifter? Any funny connections there?

Back