• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 pinion yoke seal replacement...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Does one have to replace the crush sleeve when doing this job, or can you get away with an accurate index mark and no impact gun?

About 35k ago on the road I grenaded the rear ujoint/yoke, moron that replaced yoke (old seal still there) just ran it up with an impact gun, but has been quiet ever since, even with that level of expertise.

Figure if I'm twice as careful as this fool, I'll be ok.

Still searchin...

Thanks,

When I worked at the dealership, we would take an inch pound reading before removing the yoke, without taking apart the internals. When we were going back together, we would impact gun the nut down, and check it for the same inch pound reading as it was before.

Or, you can remove the axles, remove the carrier, check the pinion preload, remove yoke, replace seal, install yoke, check pinion preload to what it was before, and reassemble. With the 8.25, you would have to do some gear setup, because of the side adjuster nuts.

Either way will work, the second way is more accurate.

Back