• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep wont start...

Rynxprs

NAXJA Forum User
Other then the NSS what is the next step?

I just cleaned the NSS about 6 months ago. The Reverse Lights stil work too.

But my jeep wont start. It doesnt' even turn over or click at all.

What should I check first?

i would start with a search. try to search for "no start" maybe a "wont start" thown in there.

there are TONS of no/wont start threads out there. a search will be your friend.

honestly i'm in a very bad mood right now and just wanted someone to give a suggestion on teh first thing to look at.
Starter Selnoid, Ignition switch.....

I just don't feel like searching/nor reading every thread that comes up when you search for such a generic term like that.....but I guess I don't have a choice

check all your wires from the battery. Pull the power wires and check for corrosion and clean the terminals good. Then check all your grounds to make sure they are clean and well connected.

Sounds like a power/ground problem to me.

Rynxprs said:
honestly i'm in a very bad mood right now and just wanted someone to give a suggestion on teh first thing to look at.
Starter Selnoid, Ignition switch.....

I just don't feel like searching/nor reading every thread that comes up when you search for such a generic term like that.....but I guess I don't have a choice

didnt mean to offend you, but i figured it would be the quickest way to get you a solution instead of waiting for sometimes days for a viable solution to be posted up. just trying to save you some time and possibly the headache of your jeep being down for too long.

Jess said:
check all your wires from the battery. Pull the power wires and check for corrosion and clean the terminals good. Then check all your grounds to make sure they are clean and well connected.

Sounds like a power/ground problem to me.

i am going through this issue as well. i first thought it was my batt so i replaced it. the terminal ends of the cables were HEAVILY corroded so i bought new ones (brass) to replace. i ended up having to trim over 3 inches off the positive batt cable that goes to the power distrobution center and it still was lightly corroded. i wasnt able to trim it down anymore or the cable would not have reached. it appears the PO had done the same thing a couple of times and now the starter cable is both too short and has too much resistance to be jumped from the batt to the starter. so i am replacing with oem cables from the local stealership. just a heads up, im paying $84.20 for mine that goes to a 95.

i would have gone for a set from 5-90, but he doesnt have a good set of measurments for a 95 yet. he will once i am done. speaking of his site, you can order a set of new cables from him if you dont want to go OEM route.

other things to check for no start-by no means a complete list:

starter
fuel pump+relays
PDC
fuses
water in fuel?
battery
clogged air filter (at or near 100% clogged would cause no start)
bad ignition switch
short in steering colum
and the list will go on eternaly

hth
stewie

I bought my wires at AutoZone and didn't pay that much. The only hard part was the wire from the + terminal to the power distribution center. I used a wire for a lawnmower battery that had a long connector and drilled another hole in it for the dual posts. It has worked well for about 6 months now.

If you have alot of corrosion on your cables that is a sign of a leaking battery. Even if it still holds a charge it might not be a bad idea to replace it...even better with a dry cell.

Try checking the Starter... if not that then the sulenoid.. if not THAT the try installing an ignition switch.. thats what i had to do when my jeep wouldnt start.... the ignition switch should take about 10 to 30 minutes to install... really simple stuff.

anther thing i thought of, is the trans in park when you try to start it? i know its a doh thing, but ive done it more than i care to admit

Back