• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another dash light/tail light question...

92xjr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys hows it goin? I have a 92 XJ larado that had both the dash lights and tail lights go out on it a little while ago. I did some searching on here and came to the conclusion that the headlight switch was probably bad. I put a new switch in and it still doesn't work... now heres the kicker when I have the switch part way between parking lights and headlights the dash will come on along with the tail lights. If i pull it all the way out the they go out again. So I figured its more than likely that I got a bad switch but I thought I would post and see if any one had ever come across something like that. Thanks a lot for the help!

Well I was able to exchange the switch, but to my dismay that was not the problem. It still does the exact same thing. When I was searching I read that if the dimmer coil in the headlight switch goes bad it can get very hot and start melting things.

It seems that this problem has got to be in either the switch or the plug, I am now leaning towards the plug. I looked at it and it did not look like it was melted.

Could a bad ground cause this problem maby? I am going to look at all my fuses again and check some grounds, any help would be apprreciated.

-Joe

Headligth switches are a pain and many of the replacements are of quesitonable quality.
The dash lights and the tail lights are on different fuses, so you have to look at the power source or the ground (though it's unlikely they have a common ground, opposite ends of the vehicle) . I think it's fuse 15 in the fuse block on my 96 for the tail ights. There may be common fuse (bus) for both in the PDC (underhood fuse box). It's number 13 in the PDC for my 96.
The rod and knob for the headlight switch is sometimes hard to seat all the way. There are a number of contact wheels in the switch, if the rod isn't seated all the way, all the contact wheels may not turn. I've had to use a combination of force and feeling to get the rod to seat. If the contact wheels and the rod corners don't line up, force can break something. If the rod doesn't go all the way in, it may not work well. I kind of held my breath, pushed in the button on the bottom of the switch and lightly pounded on the end of the knob with my fist (moderatly). Worked for me and finally seated all the way (though it did make me nervous).
If the taillights and the dash lights go out, there are few common factors, besides the bus and the headlight switch.

Back