• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE installed today....Front driveshaft used

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

Two words. I LOVE IT. Got the SYE installed today using the front driveshaft. What a difference it made, I am really impressed. Before the sye I didnt have any vibes that I noticed, however when I would let off the gas there would be a nasty grinding noise. I also would notice that it almost seemed like the jeep was working hard just driving down the road. Well I went with the $159 SHIPPED SYE from 4 wheelers supply....http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71505 which by the way showed up in only 2 days.

My buddy did the install for me since I was afraid of the tcase, he did it in the jeep without problems, tossed the front driveshaft in the rear, and away I went.....Now, literally I notice a night and day difference, the jeep rolls down the road smooth as silk, and im not playing it off, it might sound crazy but it almost seems like it has more power. No shakes, No noises, its all good. Plus, one thing that just absolutely rocks my world is I will be running the same shaft front and rear, then I will only have to carry 1 spare shaft.

Most of you guys here probably run them, so your like yeah bonehead, no crap, we know...But hopefully someone who doesnt have one reads this and gets something out of it. You can have a easy solution for vibes and noises, AND MORE LIFT, for under $200 if you play your cards right. Make sure to get a CV shaft out of any automatic, 231 or 242 case doesnt matter.

Anyway, so now that its done, first thing im gonna do is lift it more. BRUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.:laugh2:

yea i was really excited after i got my sye and RE d.s. hooked up at 5"
did you shim?
for posts like these...............we need pictures!

Yeah, I already had some 3 degree shims in there, everything is pretty much in line right now. Its a thing of beauty I tell you. Alright fine, Ill snap some photos and see if I can get them up here.

2 words???? "I LOVE IT"...

if i were you i would replace those u joints...they are like 10 bucks at pepboys but they have a retarded grease fitting.

-erik
( thats what i did ...but im soon looking for a zj v8 front driveshaft...longer)

green50gt said:
A little underlying humor for myself. Nice catch, I was hoping that wouldn't go un-noticed.

Suuuuuure... You so didn't notice.. :D

Looks good! Keep it up.

green50gt said:
Make sure to get a CV shaft out of any automatic, 231 or 242 case doesnt matter.

Not to nitpick, but that's not a CV joint, but rather a double Cardan joint. The early XJs had CV joints on the front shafts and they were very prone to problems.

Also, I've seen at least 4 different length front drive shafts depending on tranny and whether it was a high or low pinion front diff. They varied by up to 3". Best bet is to measure the collapsed and extended lengths to be sure it will work.

I'm about to do this SYE conversion my self and have noticed that some people are using front drive shafts and some are having them custom made.
Does it matter what SYE kit you use (eg. AA, PORC, Novak etc.).
Also there are 2 types of SYE's short and super short, will both work with a front drive shaft?

Christopher

I think the super short SYE doesn't have a spot for the speedo gear but I could be wrong

The super short SYE from Novak uses a harmonic ring with a sensor for the speedo. I think you can actually adjust the sensor to compensate for large dia. tires.

My buddy did it in 4 hours, with the case in the jeep, jeep sitting on the ground, and never had done one before in his life. I've built motors, rear ends, done all sorts of repairs, but I had never done a transfer case before. The directions made it look super super easy, but I just felt a little green about it. My buddy said it was pretty easy, the only snag he had with mine was the snap ring either wouldnt come off, or wouldnt go back on, I dont recall which, but anyway, all good.

Back