• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What on earth??? TURBO DIESEL XJ? OEM?

rustynuts

NAXJA Forum User
so my brother just called me and asked if i wanted another cherokee (i part out jeeps occasionally or start projects) ......... i probably shouldnt have even said that, most of you do too....

anyhow, it's a late 80's cherokee. it's missing the tranny, tcase and front two seats. it's a turbo diesel..... and it has turbo diesel emblems on it from the factory. this xj came this way, it's not a swap.

where can i find information on this????

rustynuts said:
where can i find information on this????

Start here.

From that link above, this thread as well as others may be of use if you use 'diesel' as a search term.

Blaine B. said:
It's probably from Europe or something.
Somebody didn't read the other posts

"Available engines:
1984-1996 2.5 L AMC I4, 121 hp-125 hp
1984-1986 2.8 L GM 60° LR2 V6
1985-1987 2.1 L RenaultturbodieselI4 (initially sold in US and until 1993 in Europe)
1987-1990 4.0 L AMC I6, 173-177 hp Renix Fuel Injection
1991-1996 4.0 L AMC "High Output" I6, 190 hp Chrysler Fuel Injection
1994-1996 2.5 L VM MotoriturbodieselI4 (sold in Europe)
1997-2000 2.5 L AMC I4, 125 hp
1997-2001 2.5 L VM MotoriturbodieselI4 (sold in Europe only)
1997-1999 4.0 L Power Tech I6, 190 hp
2000-2001 4.0 L Power Tech I6, 193 hp "

Hm, I just slapped myself.......but I do know the Jeeps with Diesels were more intended for Europe. I meant it more or less to have a "Europe-Popular" Package, rather than being imported....

heh.

I want the turbo and intercooler off of it if your parting it out. I need a turbo and intercooler to put mine back together.

Man those 2.5 VM engined ones are a dime a dozen over here in england. There cheap as the engines always go BANG!!!!

Look on ebay UK and search for 2.5 jeep.

I have a 86 TJ that had a 2.1 liter turbo diesel soon to be converted to a
4.0 gas. The timing belt broke and that do mess up a engine (3 broken valve actuators) Anything made by Ragnault has to be bad!!!
Charles

Charles Stewart said:
4.0 gas.

Interesting - I didn't know that engine was an option in US-model Jeeps other than the XJ & MJ.

The timing belt broke and that do mess up a engine (3 broken valve actuators) Anything made by Ragnault has to be bad!!!

Funny - I've owned a few Renaults, and while everything else would fall apart, drivetrains and mechanical bits tended to be pretty stout. How many miles were on the timing belt before it went?

CanMan said:
It is interesting, because they didn't make TJ's in 86. Maybe in a CJ though.

Good call - missed that on the first pass.

And wasn't '86 a no-Wrangler year in the model lineup? I seem to remember that CJ production ended in '85 with some unsold stock being sold in '86, but no production until the YJ came out in '87. Could be off on that, though.

I mis-typed. I have a MJ turbo diesel long bed. I also have a 88 MJ 2WD short bed, a 87 MJ 4WD short bed, and 91 MJ 2WD long bed. The 87 and 91 are doner vehicles for the others. My wifes car is a 2000 Cherokee. I also own a 85 J-10 with its 4.2 converted to the MOPOR MPI system and a 88 GW converted to the TBI system. Over the years I have owned several Ragnaults and stand by my statement. A Peugeot diesel is pretty reliable but would be a little short on oomph. I have owned a few of those also.

Charles Stewart said:
A Peugeot diesel is pretty reliable but would be a little short on oomph. I have owned a few of those also.

If you can find an intercooled '86-up 2.5-litre Peugeot turbodiesel, they're much better than the previous units. Might also make a good swap for the Renault engine, but be sure to get one that's intercooled - and to let it spin down before shutting off.

Still curious to know how many miles were on the timing belt that went, though.

Charles Stewart said:
4.0 gas. The timing belt broke and that do mess up a engine (3 broken valve actuators) Anything made by Ragnault has to be bad!!!
Charles

wow a broken timeing belt on an 86 it must be a junk motor, im sure the 60000 mile belt change maint. had nothing to do with it. the belt stock belt let go in my 86 TD @ 200000 milesish and it did damage some valves. new belt and some new parts and shes @ 210000 and she runs like a clock

The VM Diesel powered XJ sold here in Australia 97-01? was a complete dog.
All seem to blow head gaskets, crack /warp heads and cost $10K for a new motor. All spares are way over priced and diffuclt to get hold of.

Back