• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differences: 95yj 2.5 engine to 96 xj 2.5

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
i found a real good deal to replace my bad 4cyl. in my 96 XJ. but the engine came from a 95 yj, are there differences? and how major? how can they be overcome? thanks in advance....

To my knowledge there is no major difference if they are both OBDII. IIRC 95 was the crossover year. The 2.5 has the same block from 84-97 I know, bc I have been talking back channel to a member that is converting his 84 to a 91and up MPI set up.

Ghost said:
To my knowledge there is no major difference if they are both OBDII. IIRC 95 was the crossover year. The 2.5 has the same block from 84-97 I know, bc I have been talking back channel to a member that is converting his 84 to a 91and up MPI set up.

thanks!! if the block and head are the same, i should be able to use the good stuff from my engine with the bad piston. thanks for the info.

Basically the 2.5 had no major changes except FI over its life till about 97. The 84-85 are the same block as the 86-90 TBI IIRC and the 91-96 were all MPI. In 97 though they did get more ponies out of it and the motor stayed MPI so something had to change somewhere.

to revive an old thread for the searchers.

the intake manifold was different. apparently the power steering pump was different, and the bolt pattern for the power steering pump on the intake was different. it was a really easy swap to change the intakes.

the fuel rail is different, the YJ had a return line, the XJ had only the inlet. came along with the intake swap. there vacuum lines coming off the intake were different too. the yj manifold had 4, the XJ had 3. just had a plug in one that is removable with a 1/4" rachet.

there was an extra pully on the YJ block, near the alternator. i just set the belt to the top of it and had no problems.

that is all i found, i was driving the jeep today, and passed emissions. good luck with your swaps! and bump this thread if you feel it was helpful.

Back