• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Switch

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
i have 01 sport I bought a transfer case switch tonight at advanced .The swithc has four plastic prongs. I pulled the switch from the tc and it ony has 2 prongs. Did advanced sel me the wrong part for my year i've searched and can't find the correct part for an 01'

A pic would really help here. If you mean the wire plug that lights the 4x4 lights in the dashboard, there are 2 types with different numbers of wires to connect. Which transfer case? np231 or np242? Crawl under your Jeep, there is a round red ID tag on the rear of the Tcase.

231 i'm talking about the switch thats on the front side of the tc. it senses when tc is engaged and thus lights up part time light in dash

shaddady34 said:
i have 01 sport I bought a transfer case switch tonight at advanced .The swithc has four plastic prongs. I pulled the switch from the tc and it ony has 2 prongs. Did advanced sel me the wrong part for my year i've searched and can't find the correct part for an 01'

I believe the switch you refer to goes on the rear of the xfercase, it's for a vacuum disco.

Ron

My '97 w/AX15/231 combo has a two pin indicator sw plug. Bottom line, if your new plug does not match your old plug I would call the company and find out what their excuse is. Unless you want to rewire the connector that comes from the wire harnes with a new plug too. :)

The plugin below the #1 is the transfer case mode switch. It lights the 4x4 lights in the dash. It has 2 wires on an NP 231. On an NP 242 I think it has 3 or 4 wires. The Jeep part number is J8134473. Get a new one at www.allchryslerparts.com. The plugin below the #2 is for the speedometer sensor and it has 3 wires. The Tcase is from a 98 but it should be the same for all 97-01.

standard.jpg

XXX said:
I believe the switch you refer to goes on the rear of the xfercase, it's for a vacuum disco.

Ron

Does sound a lot like the vac-disco era mode indicator switch, which IS located in the rear of the case as mentioned (unlike the pictured mode switch).

Tim_MN said:
The plugin below the #1 is the transfer case mode switch. It lights the 4x4 lights in the dash. It has 2 wires on an NP 231. On an NP 242 I think it has 3 or 4 wires. The Jeep part number is J8134473. Get a new one at www.allchryslerparts.com. The plugin below the #2 is for the speedometer sensor and it has 3 wires. The Tcase is from a 98 but it should be the same for all 97-01.

standard.jpg

J8134473.
Is that the part # for the electrical wires that have the plug on each end? If now could you please tell me the part # for the pulg please.

The part number is for the mode switch. The plugs are probably something you never could purchase even when the XJ's were still in production. You can simply extend the wires and make a hard connection or go to the junkyard and find the wire ends on a 1997-2001 donor.

Back