• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights stay on

nick86

NAXJA Forum User
I don't drive much at night, but just noticed this last night. Turned off ignition w/ lights on, pushed in light switch, took keys out, lights stayed on. Got out to see if rear lights were on also & headlights went out. ???? Are they on a timer or am I getting ready to start having electrical prob's? It's on a 96 country.

this has never happened before. Is it cause I turned the key off w/ the lights on?

yup, mine do the same and go off about 30 seconds or so later. I actually like this feature, makes parking in a dark driveway easier at night when you get out.

Thanks for the quick reply bro, haven't got a owner's manual and was hoping it was a timer and not something going haywire.

i like the feature keeps me from tripping on the kids toys on the way to the house. mine didn't work for a long time after i got my jeep then just started working on day i was thinking the same thing.

Now that I know this is normal, I see it as a nice safety feature. Anyone have probs w/them staying on, I/E a relay hanging up or a bad timer. And where is timer located at?

The only problem I've had is them staying on for different amounts of time. About 30 seconds is normal, but I've had them on for as long as 3 minutes. I went inside and came back out and they were still on. Went to dig out my keys and when I was almost to the door of the Jeep they went out. I thought maybe I was just going crazy...

Yea I noticed it on my 1985 when I got it like a year ago. timer must not work on it cause they stay on forever. They do go off on my 1988 though.
I wonder if YJ and WJ are like that too

Sometimes if my lights are on, or if the lights are on w/ the timer the headlight switch will make a strange noise.....I'm not sure what the noise is, it's hard to describe. Any ideas?

Back