• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 leaves with shackles or RE 4.5?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a RE Superlfex 3.5 on my 97xj for about 2 years now. I carry a big cargo box http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXRg and a co2 tank and a toolbox etc, plus roof rack with 32" tire and a hilift on rear of rack... anyway, the back of course sat low, so I put a RE shackle on it... I think it was 1.25" and it put the back just a tiny bit high, which I like... it really is almost prefectly level. So I have a good friend who is getting ahold of some new 4.5RE leaves, and said would swap me even up. In a year or so, I want to go up about an inch and go from my 32 to 33's.

what do you guys think?

I am leaning towards keeping my 3.5's cause they are broke in, ride great, flex great, sit perfect and I don't have to touch any tools. Con's are I will need to buy new 4.5 springs in a year or so. (maybe orbital eye non RE?)

Does anyone think I will gain anything by getting the 4.5's? I guess the only plus I see is I should just have to add a shackle in a year when I decide to go up. Con's are I don't know where I will end up ride hieght and I think will not flex as well, and ride rougher.

Thanks for listening to my babble....

I think you should make the trade with this super good friend of yours. Seems only logical to me. Think of it, you would have brand new springs, how cool is that? Not only would you be helping yourself out, but you would be helping out your SUPER good friend by letting him get rid of his rough country junk that he so stupidly bought. That, and the thought of using your springs on my Daystar shackles really excites me. Im gonna be crazy flexy.

So in summary, do the deal. Everyone wins.

Jason, got the SYE installed today....AWESOME!!

SYE, longarms, 4.56's?

yea move up, get the 4.5's with the RE shackle and go up to 33's

Sorry Jason, I will answer for you since im sure your already in bed. He has an SYE, stock gears, and short arms to answer your question.

If I had to guess his plan, I would guess it would go something like this...Make the swap, run the 4.5 inchers in back, spacer the front, then roll around like that with the current stock gears and run the MTR's till they are no more. While he is running around with his current setup, plus an inch, he would be saving for his gear swap and the build of his D44, then when the MTR's are dead, he would do the gears and rear, then get new tires?

It may sound like im campaining for his springs...kinda...but it just makes sense to me. The swap happens now, its totally free. If he waits one year, then he his prolly gonna have to flip out some change to get these springs somewhere else. springing more change when he will already have to pay for a gear swap....

I'll shut up now, whatever you decide is more than fine with me. If you don't want the 4.5 inchers, im gonna run them anyway, so no skin off my back.

Peace, D

Keep the 3.5" springs. When you're ready to go higher, get some T&T u-bolt eliminators for that extra inch.

How much lift are you currently sitting at in the back? I run RE 3.5 packs with TnT 1" boomerang shackles and am at just over 6" of lift. I'm currently on 33x12.5's and with enough trimming and the correct bumpstops I could easily run 35's. Are you sure you're going to need that extra lift just for 33's?

I have RE 4.5s yeah they are little stiffer but ride fine by my standards but it is not DD I run a stock shackle and have trimed the rim rear fenders I could run 35s easy with the bumpstop right that is the key
I got rid of my blocks and shackle for a smokin deal on some lightly used REs
I would trade up
I run a rockrawler 4.5 coil and 1.5 spacer up front and I am level

Last edited:
Flatter springs tend to flex and ride better but using a lift shackle to gain the extra inch will place the rear end of the spring at the shackle lower fouling you're departure angle a little. I'm using fairly flat springs with teraflex 1.5" shackles but in the rocks I have to listen to loud crashing and scraping sounds when dropping off rocks and ledges and sometimes I get hung up on them.

bottom line is flatter springs flex better. I would stick with the 3.5's and run the 1" shackle and ubolt elim's from TnT customs.

I would stick with what you have. Put the 33s on and then start the fender trimming. I went from a home made rear pack made out of Dakota springs and a 1.5" shackle to a set of RE 4.5" springs and am way tall. My old setup cleared 33s just fine but was starting to sag so I threw on the 4.5" RE pack in hopes of leveling everything out. What ended up happening was me adding a 1.75 spacer up front on top of RE 4.5" coils to get everything level. I got a sweet deal on a set of 35s so they went on and I have LOTS of room and I am almost positive 36s would clear. I also have trimmed the fenders. When I get the chance, I am going to a smaller shackle and will try and take out the spacer in the front. I think its too tall.

AARON

Whats up Jason long time no see, go with the 4.5" now you can add a shackle or u-bolt eliminator later.

thanks for all the input guys, I am not really wanting to do the u-bolt elem. kit as that is allot more involved than I wanted (removing old perch and welding on elem.)

I actually have no idea how high I sit (never measured). This is my DD, I know this may sound dumb to some of ya, but I really like the look of the stock flares, I have some pretty big bumpstops now to stop just perfect. I took the fronts off, trimmed, and raised em up... not really any room on rear to do that (97- 4 door)

I am leaning more and more towards keeping what I have. Sorry D.

No problem my friend, I was actually hoping you would say that, I was just gonna help you out if you wanted them. I'm gonna need one of your stock shackles though.

Later, D

Back