• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinkers don't work, need help...

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
As of late the blinkers in my XJ haven't been working, and before they stopped working the Hazards stopped working. When the Hazards were turned on either you could hear the flasher relay clicking fast and nothing happens or nothing at all happens. The left blinker would light up but wouldn't flash and the right blinker wouldn't blink but the relay clicked at a high rate of speed.

So today I dig into them, grounds are good put new relays in and the hazards blink on the dash at half brightness but no power makes it to the bulbs and the same with the right side blinker and the left remains unchanged. I put the old relays back in and nothing at all happens.

It's a 90 XJ 4.0 AX-15 and I changed out the clutch master cylinder in June and ever since random fuses have blown, all my fuses look good but there is still some brake fluid residue on the fuse box.

Any ideas on what my problem could be?

The only thing that comes to mind when my blinkers don't work is that the relay's need to be changed on the block, never had another problem when they don't blink or turn on.

langer1 said:
Do the lights come on but not flash? The are the yellow bulbs you know?

The Hazards and right blinker don't come on at all but I hear the relay clicking very fast, the left blinker comes on but does not flash and no noise from the relay.

For some reason over the last year my XJ has been eating thru the amber bulb on the LF, I don't know if it's related or not...

Zoro said:
It very well may have but I have REAL problem.

Ford was experimenting with blinker fluid for awhile, thankfully that trend never caught on

Want a wiring diagram? If so MP me with your email address.

Blinkers are thermal based. They sense the current through the bulb, convert that to temperature that heats a bi-metal snap spring, and that sets the bink rate. Have you ever noticed that when you plug in a trailer, the blink rate gets faster? Its because more current is being drawn, causing the spring to heat up faster.

Your symptom of fast blinking says you have a shorted bulb that is causing too much current to be drawn. Pull the bulbs and check for a blown bulb. Sometimes when the filament burns out, it droops over and shorts the two contacts, causing a short.

That said, sometimes a shorted bulb can bring a premature end to the blinker module as well, but it is not that common.

had that same problem recently and it turned out that the plugs the bulbs go into was corroded and when I tried to clean them the metal connectors broke. I got replacements at AutoZone for about $4 each....they work fine now.

Put new blinker module in, left blinks as it should, right blinks BUT the light on the dash only lights up about half as bright as it should and with each blink the volt meter takes a deeper dive.

Not sure if it's related or not but the little brass piece inside of the socket in the RR blinker melted an indentation into the bulb like a flat-tip screw looks like. Think I've found the culprit.

Back