• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! What is this?

THalladay

NAXJA Forum User
Is this called a steering knuckle? Referring to the part that the caliper bolts onto. Mine is completely stripped out and my caliper was free floating. Have jeep apart in a garage, trying to figure out if I should heli-coil the threads or try to aquire a new one.

Thanks!

CaliperPiece-vi.jpg

THalladay said:
Is this called a steering knuckle? Referring to the part that the caliper bolts onto. Mine is completely stripped out and my caliper was free floating. Have jeep apart in a garage, trying to figure out if I should heli-coil the threads or try to aquire a new one.

Thanks!

CaliperPiece-vi.jpg

Heh, that reminds me...I used heli-coil in mine about 5 years ago when a friend conveniently stripped it. Totally forgot about that until this thread. Yup, holding fine.

If you have another knuckle handy then go for it. Much easier to heli-coil and it's often better than it started.

THalladay said:
How hard is the knuckle to replace? Is it a steering knuckle???

I don't have one spare, I can find one and replace it. Is the heli-coil an easier fix.

You have to pop the knuckle off the ball joints...at the same time making damn sure you have the right knuckle for your year (there were different ones over the years that use different bearing/brake assemblies!). Heli-coil took a few minutes and it was much easier than trying to track down another knuckle. I got a heli-coil kit so I've got more for future buggeries. Yeah, have had to use the kit since then. It's one of those essential things for Jeep owners. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
You have to pop the knuckle off the ball joints...at the same time making damn sure you have the right knuckle for your year (there were different ones over the years that use different bearing/brake assemblies!). Heli-coil took a few minutes and it was much easier than trying to track down another knuckle. I got a heli-coil kit so I've got more for future buggeries. Yeah, have had to use the kit since then. It's one of those essential things for Jeep owners. ;)

Thanks for the info. Went with the heli-coil kit, it went in no problems. Hopefully it holds up well. I'll probably keep an eye out for the right knuckle and pick one up if I ever get a great deal on it.

Thanks for the help!

I know a lot of ppl don't trust a Heli Coil for the brakes, but I have had to use them in the past with no problems. The caliper pins really don't have a ton of pressure on them. I have never heard of an HC letting go when used in this application.

Back