• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase

fisher446

NAXJA Forum User
how hard is it to put a new tcase in?? last time i had a shop do it and i dont feel like payin all that money for the install. I have access to all the tools i need and have alot more renching skills since last time. lol

They're pretty easy to install. Just that one top bolt can be a pain.

Are you lifted? Do you not have an SYE? That might explain your problem.

To take my 231 out and replace it with a used 231, it took me about 4-5 hours, but that is with almost no previous wrenching time......It was something that was helpful to know how to do. I am pretty happy with it. Now i am moving on to the motor mounts this weekend....Good Luck.:cheers:

top bolt can be easily reached thru the shifter opening but you have to take the center console apart. just did it when installed rebuilt tranny if you dont have a lift i would sugest at least a tranny jack to keep it steady

You can pull the cross member and let the tail of the tranny down a couple inches, that will let you at the top bolts easier.

edit: Oh yeah, put a nice flat piece of wood under the trannpan, don't jack directly on it, you want to spread the weight out otherwise you'll collapse the pan. I have a 12" square piece of 3/4 ply that I used.

thanks for the help, hopefully i should be picking up a 87 xj with a blown motor for $100 in hte next few days. Everything is is in good condition. Ill be takin the tcase out and then a few other parts and then parting the rest out!! :)

so if your looking for parts ill have some up for dibs in the next week or so!!

Do yourself a favor and get a ratchet wrench. They work great on getting those 6 nuts off/on....

Jeff

wrench.jpg

Jeff in VA said:
Do yourself a favor and get a ratchet wrench. They work great on getting those 6 nuts off/on....

Jeff

wrench.jpg

haha i would be lost without those, so you can bet your sweet A double S i will be using those. I had to do a quick trial repair the other day when my driveshaft went and had to use a regular rench, took 100times longer. i was lost without the ratchet. lol

fisher446 said:
thanks for the help, hopefully i should be picking up a 87 xj with a blown motor for $100 in hte next few days. Everything is is in good condition. Ill be takin the tcase out and then a few other parts and then parting the rest out!! :)

so if your looking for parts ill have some up for dibs in the next week or so!!
what year is your XJ, and what trans do they both have.
If you've got an HO XJ and buy a renix parts rig chances are the spline count on the t-case will be different.

Yup...good call. According to his profile, it's a 95. So they'll have different spline counts.

He can swap input shafts. However if his is the original 95, they have a different gear cut than the earlier ones, so he can't use the 95 input shaft. I noticed it's been swapped before, so he could have anything 91-95, so his input shaft may or may not work. You can easily tell the gear cut just by looking at them side by side, if the teeth look different, then you'll be hunting for a 23 spline input.

uh ohhh... what renix?? lol i got a tcase out of a 2000tj and had to take the input shaft out of my old case and putit in this one. you think mine will work in the 87??

no, the 87-90 automatic transmissions had a 21 spline output.
91 and later autos are 23 spline, it will physically not fit.
As mentioned above, you can take the input gear out of your broken case and put it in the 87 case, IF the gear cuts match. If not, then you'll have to get the proper 23 spline input gear with the right gear cut.
Do some reading here:
http://novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm
and that should help you understand the differences in the 231 cases during the production run.

In addition to the spline count differences, the '87 will have all the vacuum connectors for the 4wd action. You will need to swap out your electronic 4wd indicator switch (along with the input gear... which is a little more work).

Yep I agree, when i had to replace my Np231, I could only get a 96 tcase, because they were made specifically different for that year. I couldn't use anything prior than 96.
Good Luck,

PBen

Back