• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full-TIme Pop / Binding

BIG1RED9

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

While leaving my Selec-Trac in full time 4hi, at times it seems to operate fine. I can make a sharp right or left turn and not notice a thing. Other times there is a slight binding while turning and every once in a while a bang/pop sound similar to hit a sharp pothole. All of these symptoms I notice at parking lot speeds.

Thanks
Don

87 Wagoneer Limited 187,000 miles

it sounds like you may not be in fulltime when u think you r check the fluid level and check the linkage and positions

Reading your post I decided to test mine out (just recently purchased an xj). Mine will do fine going forward [no binding at full turn], but as soon as I am reversing, with the wheel turned to lock, or ~1 steering-wheel revolution before lock, it will bind up.

When the steering-wheel was straightened out, I could still feel that things were in a bind, through the steering. I drove forward and was able to easily shift into 2wd, when I felt the binding subside. I don't really care for full-time when I don't need it, but I would like for my vehicle to work properly, if possible.

According to other posts I found when I was researching this, I found 2 reasons for the 242 to bind in full-time.
1. Transmission mount may be loose
2. Front axle u-joints need replacing
Just today I was wheeling in the small bit of snow we got recently, and felt a banging while slipping in reverse up a hill in 4lo, and noticed my transfer case was hitting the transfer-case skid-plate... so my transmission mount is shot... but I couldn't see that causing my binding situation.

I have a [stock] '99 XJ aw4 np242 with 60k miles and all this testing was done in full-time.

Oh nevermind... I never get a chance to post because I solve every friggen problem through search, I suppose I should be happy.

Last edited:
Back