• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weight for Winter

need4speedjp

NAXJA Forum User
WEIGHT FOR WINTER?!?!?

With the snow starting to fall, and this being my first year with my XJ i was wondering how much if any weight everyone is putting in the back, i dont have a heavy aftermarket bumper so i was thinking of some sand bags or semi brake drums. i would like to hear any other ideas for wieght, and how much

Re: WEIGHT FOR WINTER?!?!?

i never needed wieght for mine, just a decent set of tires and you will be fine

need4speedjp said:
With the snow starting to fall, and this being my first year with my XJ i was wondering how much if any weight everyone is putting in the back, i dont have a heavy aftermarket bumper so i was thinking of some sand bags or semi brake drums. i would like to hear any other ideas for wieght, and how much

Zero of any of that crap.

As far as what you should carry in your XJ, just the usual winter survival crap.

Some suggestions might include:
Warm blanket
Small snow shovel
Matches
Jumper Cables
Tow strap
Flashlight
Small assortment of tools: Screwdriver (#1 and 2 straight and Phillips. Metric hand wrenches, pliers.
Tire jack (Stock will do)
Tire wrench (Stock will do)
A good spare tire.

Depending how close to the lakes you are, you may need to consider tire chains, cable types will do. You will only need one set to keep you going in most cases.

"How to drive your Jeep in the Winter, for DUMMIES" ;)
No, seriously, if you still have the owners manual, read it.

Ron
BTW: How is this applicable to the "Modified Tech" Forum? Should be under OEM. Noobs :dunce:

Last edited:

Zuki-Ron said:
Zero of any of that crap.

As far as what you should carry in your XJ, just the usual winter survival crap.

Some suggestions might include:
Warm blanket
Small snow shovel
Matches
Jumper Cables
Tow strap
Flashlight
Small assortment of tools: Screwdriver (#1 and 2 straight and Phillips. Metric hand wrenches, pliers.
Tire jack (Stock will do)
Tire wrench (Stock will do)
A good spare tire.

Depending how close to the lakes you are, you may need to consider tire chains, cable types will do. You will only need one set to keep you going in most cases.

"How to drive your Jeep in the Winter, for DUMMIES" ;)
No, seriously, if you still have the owners manual, read it.

Ron
BTW: How is this applicable to the "Modified Tech" Forum? Should be under OEM. Noobs :dunce:

Add a small (10# or so) bag of clay-based kitty litter or coarse sand. Not for weight - but if you do get stuck, or park somewhere and get "iced under," you'll be able to get moving with a couple of handfuls of whatever. A convenient and durable (and compact!) "sandbag" can be made from the legs of an old pair of blue jeans - the denim will hold up well over time. A little measuring and planning will allow you to keep the 'bag under your rear seat - out of the way until you need it.

Oh - and I'll move this to OEM, where it damn sure does belong! Even if you add "ballast," you're not doing anything to actually modify your vehicle - you just change the contents...

5-90

5-90 said:
A convenient and durable (and compact!) "sandbag" can be made from the legs of an old pair of blue jeans - the denim will hold up well over time.

Very interesting - I never thought about that sort of use from old jeans (probably a hundred other ones I don't know about either). One question, though - isn't the sand fine enough to eventually get through the weave of the denim? I would have thought that you'd want to coat the inside of the "bag" with something to seal it. Perhaps brush on some of that rubber stuff you can buy to dip the handles of tools in?

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
Very interesting - I never thought about that sort of use from old jeans (probably a hundred other ones I don't know about either). One question, though - isn't the sand fine enough to eventually get through the weave of the denim? I would have thought that you'd want to coat the inside of the "bag" with something to seal it. Perhaps brush on some of that rubber stuff you can buy to dip the handles of tools in?

Rob

That's why I specified "coarse" sand - that fine stuff won't give you any useful traction anyhow. You should be able to find "coarse" sand pretty much anywhere.

5-90

Speed_racer said:
Rob, no, fold up the end, sew it shut, and make a fold setup with buttons or a zipper on the other end.

Its not that hard, bro ;) :piratefla

Maybe some of us can't sew very well. I just buy my sand in this handy thing called a tube. They don't charge any extra for it. It always falls through my fingers when I try to carry it home....?
Just kidding man. I've carried sand in my 4x4s for years now. Little extra weight and like ya said sprinkle some out for traction. Look around a farm type store in your area. You can also find "play sand" for sand boxes. I think around 3 - 5 bucks. I don't like kitty litter I don't think it gives as much traction in snow. Ya ever got that stuff wet in the back of your Jeep??

XJIDAHO said:
Maybe some of us can't sew very well. I just buy my sand in this handy thing called a tube. They don't charge any extra for it. It always falls through my fingers when I try to carry it home....?
Just kidding man. I've carried sand in my 4x4s for years now. Little extra weight and like ya said sprinkle some out for traction. Look around a farm type store in your area. You can also find "play sand" for sand boxes. I think around 3 - 5 bucks. I don't like kitty litter I don't think it gives as much traction in snow. Ya ever got that stuff wet in the back of your Jeep??

Yeah, I'm not sure you can find "clay-based" kitty litter anymore - it's all that "clumping, extra-fine" crap they're selling.

An alternative - crushed corncop or walnut hull. I've also used that with good results - although it will end up being 1/3- to 1/2-the weight of sand. Fine gravel also works - but don't get "pea gravel," it's too smooth. It's got to have edges and corners to bite into whatever is giving you trouble...

5-90

I fill a small bucket at the maintenence stations on the highways here i think it is a pumice salt mix

XJIDAHO said:

If you can't sew, I'm sure you can handle gluing PVS - get a 4" section about two feet long, a cap for one end, and a thread adapter for the other. Solvent-weld together, and install a threaded cap or plug to fit the adapter.

I just happen to prefer the cloth bag, I can make a couple, and they're more flexible for storage. Nothing wrong with learning to sew - and it need not be pretty, just solid.

5-90

Yep, these aren't pickups, you should be fine. If you feel you need some, then put some back there. YMMV.[/quote]

I dont see how it not being a pickup truck would change wether or not you need weight. it is rear wheel drive, so it would fish-tail around corners if too light.and if your tires do not dig down through the snow or ice deep enough then more weight would help. I even use to put weight in my 92 camaro when i had to drive it in the winter.

with a pick up you lack even more wieght in the rear than you do in your jeep...and also its an overall heavier vehicle so it take more to get it going...and becuase it takes more itll spin easier

I just put a 240 LB son and a 160 LB son in the back. All the ballast I will ever need plus they can push like all hell. If they would just stop eating:)

throw a fat chick back there and call it good!

Back