• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Issues

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there. I searched, and nothing really matched the problems Im having. Well, we've been getting hit real hard with snow, and I've been LOVING having the Jeep for the rally action. But.....all the sudden last night my wipers stoped working as well as the light on the shifter so you can tell which gear your in. I dont really need that light, but the wife does. Anyways, the wipers will work every once in a while, but for the most part they dont work at all. This is very dangerous as it's either snowing or raining out here right now. HELP.

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Grizzley Edition
Auto.

Thanks,

Brad

Thanks. I did find those articles in my search. I'll see what I can do. A shop up here wants 300 to replace a wiper motor!!! Robbery. Anyone have any idea how long it would take to replace and any articles on here that explain how.

The wiper motor is kind of crowded into the cowl but it isn't that hard to replace or to take out. You may have to try a few different ways before you figure out how to get it back in. Before doing that, you can take off the cowl cover and find the plug connector for the motor, and get a voltmeter or a test light on the motor to see if it's getting juice. No point in replacing a motor if it's a bad switch or a bad ground.

The connectors seem to have changed between 95 and 99, the two years for which I have books, and the 99 book is missing any pinouts for the connector at the motor (yeah, a hundred bucks for the book, and they left out big hunks of what was in the 95 book!). But it shouldn't be hard to figure out with a test light. One pin should be live with ignition on and switch off (that's the park circuit). Another should go live for high, and another live for low. One should go to ground.

Back