• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirty Drum Brakes ?

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Each time I check on my brake fluid I find that the oil in the compartment responsible for the rear drums is very dirty compared to the one of the front brakes. Is that normal or there something i need to do ?

if I understand what you are saying---brake fluid on rear shoes and inside drums--yes that is a problem. You either need new wheel cylinders or to rebuild the ones that are on there. I recently did this myself. The replacement wheel cylinders are only about $20 each, but the rebuild kit is only about $3 for each side. If you choose to rebuild (which is very easy), you also need to get a honing tool (about $10) to clean the inside of the cylinder.
Good Luck

I think he's talking about the fluid in the master cylinder.

Just flush it out. Bleed the rear brakes (with a helper) until the master is nearly empty, then refill with fresh fluid and repeat until you get nice clean fluid coming out the bleeders. Just don't let the master go completely dry during the process.

anony91xj said:
I think he's talking about the fluid in the master cylinder.

Just flush it out. Bleed the rear brakes (with a helper) until the master is nearly empty, then refill with fresh fluid and repeat until you get nice clean fluid coming out the bleeders. Just don't let the master go completely dry during the process.

yes i mean in the master cylinder and do that everytime and it gets dirty again thats without even wheeling

karim_gabra said:
yes i mean in the master cylinder and do that everytime and it gets dirty again thats without even wheeling
I'd seriously investigate the brake lines then. Might be that the rubber line is detriorating from the inside, might be that there was water in the system and now the line is rusting from the inside.

87manche said:
I'd seriously investigate the brake lines then. Might be that the rubber line is detriorating from the inside, might be that there was water in the system and now the line is rusting from the inside.

I doubt its rust or rubber lines because its been like that since it was with my father. Is there any other valves or pistons i need to check maybe inside the drums.
I v never driven another XJ but my brake pedal feels heavy and i find it hard to stop the car during traffic specialy when AW4 is in D. I heared from other XJ owners that their pedals felt spongy, i m sure mine doesnt feel that way it feels very hard.
PS I drive a stock AW4 HO 1994 and i dont find it hard to stop the car at high speeds

Back