• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration at Highway Speed

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
When going down the interstate at about 50mph I start to get a vibration that seems to be on the passenger side of the Jeep. I put it in neutral and it doesn't go away, I let off the gas and once it slows below the 55mph, it kinda goes away, but I can still feel it. Would this be driveshaft u-joints or an unbalanced wheel? It seems to be a little uncontrollable till you get past the 55mph speed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

Took this from my bible...."Tires that are out of round or wheels that are unbalanced will cause a low frequency vibration...Brake drums that are unbalanced will cause a harsh, low frequency vibration...Driveline vibration can also result from loose or damaged engine mounts... Propeller shaft vibration will increase as the vehicle speed is increased...A vibration that occurs within a specific speed range is not caused by propeller shaft inbalance. Defective universal joints or an incorrect propeller shaft angle are usually the cause."

if an XJ starts wobbling atounf 55 mph it usually turns out to be a tire out of balance. Its wierd but I'm sure if you search for "55" you will probably get a ton about vibes

vibration at speed, especially 50-55 in our Cherokees is 95% of the time cuased by an inbalanced rim or tire. the other 5 persent is a worn front end component. Good Luck

stock height or lifted? If lifted what components were used----ie adjustable track bar, new lca's, ect??

...but everyone else is correct that the first thing you should eleminate is tire balance

don't forget to check your tire pressure, it tends to drop when it gets cooler outside towards the winter. my wife complained her XJ was starting to feel "funny" at 50 mph ... tire pressure solved it.

I have same problem at 50 mph, got my tires rotated and balanced tonight and same problem, guess i'm going to get an alignment now

Had the same problem after wheeling...a wheel weight fell off so I balanced the tires and no more vibes anywhere. Mine only cost 30 dollars at my local tire shop. Start at tire psi however, and then get a balance done...maybe an alignment at the same time.

same issue here. I thought it was because my pass side u joint was on its way out but after replacing it i still have the same vibes at 52-55. Im going to rotate the tires and see if anything changes.

A worn axleshaft u-joint will only cause vibration through the steering when you steer to the opposite side of the worn u-joint i.e. If passenger side u-joint is worn, you'll get vibration when you steer left. You don't get vibration in a straight line.
Jeff's problem is an out of balance front passenger wheel. Jeff, you might wanna make sure the tire or the rim aren't damaged when you take your Jeep for wheel balancing. While you're there, I suggest you have all the other wheels balanced as well.

Back