• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 TCU work with 90 Aw4

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a TCU out of a 91 xj from a member here and i was wondering if it will work with a 90 AW4. Im actually swapping a 90 motor and tranny into my 88 xj, but i have a complete wiring harness from a 90 xj. The plug (male) on the 90 harness was a little different from the plug on the TCU. There are two grooves on the female end that are on right side of the plug that the male end is supposed to slide into but the ridges on the male end on on the left. I simply shaved down the ridges and it fits fine. Will this set-up work?

AD-8 said:
I purchased a TCU out of a 91 xj from a member here and i was wondering if it will work with a 90 AW4. Im actually swapping a 90 motor and tranny into my 88 xj, but i have a complete wiring harness from a 90 xj. The plug (male) on the 90 harness was a little different from the plug on the TCU. There are two grooves on the female end that are on right side of the plug that the male end is supposed to slide into but the ridges on the male end on on the left. I simply shaved down the ridges and it fits fine. Will this set-up work?
I knew it would work dude, that's why I sold it to ya.:) I guess this means you must have gotten the stuff huh?

Hm. I have an interchange guide that says the 90 and 91 controllers are interchangeable. What color are the connectors? Are they the same color, but keyed differently (the ridges in difference places)?

From all the TCUs I've seen, the Renix ones were grey and the HO ones were green/teal. Maybe your's isn't from a Renix?

Either way it will still work just fine as none of the sensor inputs changed. The diagnostic lines on the renix were serial and came out to the yellow plug under the hood. The HO setup has the diagnositc lines using the odb setup and going to the engine computer.

Back