• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Conditioning (Fan) Control

zeke2230

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ - 149k. Dashboard A/C (Fan) Control is weirding out. Works on setting 4 (highest) doesn't work on the others. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Z

Resistor pack. I don't have an FSM that goes that late, but that's my first reading on it.

The blower fan speeds are controlled by a small bank of resistors - the higher the fan speed desired, the lower the resistance. "High" is usually "no" resistance inline, which is why your fan still works on high (but the low resistor is probably blown, and the resistances work in series.)

Get a Chilton's, or see who has an FSM for your year, and see where the "Blower Motor Resistor" is. In 1997, the resistor pack was on the "bottom of the heater-A/C housing on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. It can be accessed for service by removing the heater-A/C kick cover." (1997FSM.)

These things can usually be checked with a simple ohmmeter - but you'll need wiring diagrams for your year (they've probably changed colour codes after a while.)

5-90

5-90 said:
In 1997, the resistor pack was on the "bottom of the heater-A/C housing on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. It can be accessed for service by removing the heater-A/C kick cover." (1997FSM.)

Same place for the 2000 according to my FSM.

Back