• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap question

bill_j

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 cherokee 4.0 manual tranny and my engine went due to heat, cracked head and who knows what else. I am picking up a wrecked 98 cherokee 4.0 auto for extra parts. At this point I am only interested in swapping motors.

My question is are there any additional sensors or other problems Im going to run into on this that might cause me to have to swap out a complete wiring harness and computer or anything else out of the way. I dont want to use the auto right now. Any help or advice you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

bill_j said:
I have a 92 cherokee 4.0 manual tranny and my engine went due to heat, cracked head and who knows what else. I am picking up a wrecked 98 cherokee 4.0 auto for extra parts. At this point I am only interested in swapping motors.

My question is are there any additional sensors or other problems Im going to run into on this that might cause me to have to swap out a complete wiring harness and computer or anything else out of the way. I dont want to use the auto right now. Any help or advice you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

i know on my 4cyl they went from OBDI-OBDII in '96, so i figure the 6cyl went about the same time. I would do the whole wiring switch just to be certian...better safe then sorry in my book. also are the tranny's the same?

Switching the wiring would be a major operation. Just use the long block with your manifolds. You may have a manifold alignment issue with the newer motor and the older intake. If all your stuff will bolt to the newer intake then use that. I recall some sort of redesign in 96 for the odbii motors. Anyway, just transfer your existing stuff to the new engine. It will run with the 92 ECU/FI. You may have to look at the back of the 98 crank for a pilot bearing, it may or may not be drilled to accept one.

Thanks guys, that is a good start to this thread. I will be starting on this pretty soon, just have to go pick up the parts jeep. I was hoping someone on here had already done this swap and would chime in with an easy answer. Ive done kind of this same kind of swap in a 92 Ford F150 and had to swap the computer, the wiring harness, and even the dash and instruments, so I am aware of what a PITA it can be trust me. Well I will check the crank when I get it pulled and maybe even try to measure the bolt pattern on the two motors before I waste a gasket. It will all come out good in the end, its the between time that sucks. :looney:

I put an engine from a 96 into my 91,I just reused the 91 manifolds.I did have to change my oil pressure sending unit because the plug was slightly different,I changed my dist. too because I wasn't getting spark but that turned out to be the CPS.

i am doing a similar swap. a 98 4.0/auto out of a xj into a 88 comanche 4.0/5spd. also thinking of swapping my np435 and maybe the np 205 ( 76 dodge) at the same time anyone have any advice. really hope this is not beyond my ability. any info would help
thanks

markw said:
Switching the wiring would be a major operation. Just use the long block with your manifolds.

Best advice ever. I swapped a '91 HO into my '87 and used the '91 manifolds. I was able to make it work, but in retrospect I should have just reused the RENIX manifolds and saved some headaches.

There won't be many, if any, changes to the block and head from the OBDII changeover in 1996, but there may be differences in the electronics (sensors and such). Just reuse any sensors from your original motor if the wiring connectors are different, and if they need to be replaced remember to get the parts for your year, not the OBDII year.

Remember, the goal is to make the newer hardware work with your existing PCM and wiring harness.

Back