• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive question

solomaster278

NAXJA Forum User
I would like the know if you have to be moving for the 4 wheel drive to engage all the way or can you be stopped.thanks

solomaster278 said:
I would like the know if you have to be moving for the 4 wheel drive to engage all the way or can you be stopped.thanks

To put it in 4 HI, you can be doind any speed. I dont put it in 4 HI above 25 mph myself.

For putting it in 4 LO, you must be stopped, or at a very slow speed, I don't try it if im going more than 3 mph. If you have a stick, push the clutch in to get it in, for an auto, put it in neurtal.

Your owners manual should tell you how to also.

Getting it to engage is often easy, stopped or moving (slowly). Sometimes moving very slowly helps. Getting it disengaged can be a problem.

I have a problem only when im stopped. If i engage or disengage 4 wheel it feels like it dosnt engage or disengage right. thanks

I've had the best results, either shifting into or out of 4X while stopping, just before it comes to a full stop or shifting the automatic from drive to neutral to reverse and back to drive agian. But on occasion, I've tried just aobut anything you can think of to get it to disengage.
What year and transfer?

I've also found if you exercise them on a regular basis they work better. I've made the mistake of not using the 4X for half a year and then having all sorts of grief. I don't drive the wifes often, but when I do, I usually take a few extra mintues to shift the 242 through all the options (on the dirt someplace), just to exercise it some. My 242 sees more time in 4X than the wifes and always seems to work better and hang up less.

Back