• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting Coolant Mix

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
After installing a new water pump I made the mistake of dumping a gallon of water into the radiator before adding antifreeze. I'm now protected down to about -110 degrees which is on the edge of where I'd like to be. My radiator petcock is broken and I want to drain about a quart of antifreeze to adjust the mix. Where should I open the system to drain about a quart while making the least amount of mess. I'm thinking one of the heater hoses. Any thoughts? TIA

Last edited:
yardape said:
After installing a new water pump I made the mistake of dumping a gallon of water into the radiator before adding antifreeze. I'm now protected down to about -110 degrees which is on the edge of where I'd like to be. My radiator petcock is broken and I want to drain about a quart of antifreeze to adjust the mix. Where should I open the system to drain about a quart while making the least amount of mess. I'm thinking one of the heater hoses. Any thoughts? TIA

The way to fill it from basically dry is pour in a gallon of distilled water and a gallon of pure antifreeze, thats a 50/50 mix which is what you want. Then you take the empty anti-freeze jug, fill it halfway with pure anti-freeze and then add a half gallon of distilled water to both now half filled jugs, you now have two 50/50 mix jugs ready to go.
As for removal, I use a squeeze bulb pump with the hoses on both ends, shove one hose down the dogleg on the radiator and the other into an empty jug. Every time I have tried to disconnect a hose I end up getting dirt into the antifreeze.

Wait a minute, have you started the engine yet ? they won't really mix till the motors run if you dumped em in seperately.

Thanks Rich. No this Jeep has been running for a week. Plenty of mixing has occured. When I went to refill the Jeep it was clearly not empty. I put a gallon of water in but then the I couldn't get a full gallon of antifreeze in. That's why I need to adjust. With a broken radiator drainplug I had to pop the lower hose. What an f'n mess that created. So you're saying that I should be able to get at least a quart out by pumping it out of the dogleg? That would be awesome.

yardape said:
Thanks Rich. No this Jeep has been running for a week. Plenty of mixing has occured. When I went to refill the Jeep it was clearly not empty. I put a gallon of water in but then the I couldn't get a full gallon of antifreeze in. That's why I need to adjust. With a broken radiator drainplug I had to pop the lower hose. What an f'n mess that created. So you're saying that I should be able to get at least a quart out by pumping it out of the dogleg? That would be awesome.

Yea, actually if the hose you stuff in is long enough you can get quite a bit out, about a gallon plus. Hose has to be flexable to get thru the dog leg and not too flexable to get hung up on the cooling pipes, I usually just twist it a bit if it does.
If you don't want to do it thru the dog leg take the upper hose off and go in that way. One of the things I like about our wranglers is the drain in on the bottom and drops straight into a draning pan. I have a new XJ radiator that I will put in sometime but I've been looking at putting a seperate copper or bras L in the drain hole that I can open up to drain. Still in the thought process and I was cruising the local hardware plumbing section getting some ideas but most was too big for what I wanted. Home depot has a good selection of brass stuff, valves and such for a variety of home uses so I may head up that way tomorrow when I go to get some of those 4ft long driveway reflectors you stick into the ground to replace the beat up and broken ones I have now.
Gotta head out and go pickup the windjammer and bikini top w/channel, both new, guy sold his TJ and only wanted $40 for both :D :D :D

im sure there is one but can anyone explain to me what the problem of having to strong a mix. does this not cool good enough or something? by stong i mean like 75%AF to 25%Water

The cooling capacity gets worse above 75% AF mixes and the freezing point starts to rise again. For the original poster, it really doesn't get that cold in MD so you're probably fine with the mix you have. Just fill the overflow tank with pure AF and call it done.

The phrase "coolant" is a misnomer. Water actually cools better than antifreeze.

yardape said:
The phrase "coolant" is a misnomer. Water actually cools better than antifreeze.
Yea, but the anti-freeze actually provides all the anti-corrosion protection and lubrication for the system. You could always drain your overflow tank, add a gallon of distilled water and a cup of antifreeze, over a few days it should mix and pull it back in. Just a thought.

RichP said:
Yea, but the anti-freeze actually provides all the anti-corrosion protection and lubrication for the system. You could always drain your overflow tank, add a gallon of distilled water and a cup of antifreeze, over a few days it should mix and pull it back in. Just a thought.

Absolutely

Just drain the resivoir and refill that correctly. I had too much water in my system, so I drained the resivoir and filled it to full with 100% coolant.

I used my prestone gauge and I'm protected to the maximum for boil-over and freezing temps!

Back