• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 non disconnect

tweakado

NAXJA Forum User
Wow guys i was at ecology auto wreaking in wilmington ca. Man they had about 10 XJs in the yard some whole some semi stripped. I just learned about the non disconnect dana 30 if i replace my vacum setup with the non disconnect do i have to worry about the gearing in it since i will only be useing part time and not for crawling. I have a 1986 wagoneer limited with a 2.5L 5 speed.

the 2.5 L came with different gears than the 4.0.

ABSOLUTLY you have to worry about the gear ratios. it doesnt matter how infrequently or how intense you use it. the gear ratios still have to match. if your xj has 4.10 gears (i suspect it does but double check) then you can NOT function in 4wd with say 3.55.

the reason is that the front and rear wheels need to turn at the same (or close to) rate. say 4.10 on the front axle and 4.10 on the rear. if a 3.55 is thrown in the mix there, one axle will turn the tires at a different speed and cause some major drive line issues- say granade your transfer case, or worse!

however sometimes its not entirely possible to get the same ratios. a one to two diget difference is accceptable. a 4.10 front and 4.11 rear is ok.

in case you dont know how to check your gear ratio, heres the easiest way. look at your differential. on the side of the cover there will be a tag that is held on by 2 bolts. clean all the grease, oil, dirt and rust off until you can read what it says. you may need a wire bush for it. there will be a searies of #'s. X.XX is your gear ratio. like 3.07, 3.55, 4.10, or 4.56. sometimes it is in the format of X XX. both the front and rear will have tags.

if you are not cirtain what set of # are your ratio, post it up and we will flame away and then tell you what it is.

hth
stewie

edit: you can overcome a gear difference by using a coresponding tire size. say 4.88 with 35's in the front and 3.55 with stock tires in the back! that sould let them turn about the same rate/speed!

jk

Last edited:
Back