• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF

FubAr4x4

NAXJA Forum User
im giveing my 1990 XJ and full trans flush torque converter and all and i need to know how much fluid im ganna need? if you can e-mail me at [email protected] (im at college and i dont know when ill beable to get to this site, they blocked all forums) i was told that that torque converter will take about 15qts?

I got a PM from you but the NAXJA PMs are still not working. Fluid capacity per the FSM is about 8.5 quarts of Dexron IIe or Dexron III. Don't use ATF4+.

Because:

1.) The manufacturer of the AW4 does not specify of suggest +4 for the trans.
2.) The transmission was not designed to use this type of fluid which is different from Dexron types.
3.) Others have reported problems caused by introducing +4 or other synthetic ATFs into the system.

4.) The Chrysler TSBs specifically stating not to use ATF4+.

Many Chrysler dealers apparently haven't read this, because I keep hearing complaints that the Dealer using the wrong fluid and it causing shifting problems.

The +4 ATF has different friction characteristics than does M/D III. It's more 'slippery', and wasn't designed for the AW-4's clutch packs. It's a common misconception that a 'newer' ATF is just naturally 'better', but that's simply not the case. Use what the transmission is designed for, M/D III.

How much you are going to need depends on how you are going to flush it, doing the 'drain a pan at a time route' or 'disconnect the tranny cooler line route' or 'hook it to a tranny flushing machine route'...

Back