• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke the key, locked out...need help

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ that you have to use 2 seperate keys on, one for the doors and one for ignition and the door key snapped on me last night. In 7 years and well over 50 attempts at getting one cut only 1 ever worked and the locksmith couldn't get another one to work. Anyways I can't find the spare but is there a way to retreve the broken piece from the lock cylinder?

How much would I be looking at to have all 3 lock cylinders replaced?

I've already gotten in and gotten the door panel off but I can't figure out how to pop the lock cylinder out.

The key broke off in far enough not to be seen from the outside, the little spring loaded piece of metal popped out as if there's no key in there...

I know the ignition column is a GM style, so the ign lock cylinder is pretty cheap. I suspect the door locks are also GM which would make them pretty easy to find, although a bit more of a pain in the butt to replace.

The easiest way to pop a lock cylinder is to pull the inside of the door for general access, then pull the oblong rubber plug on the door jamb. Then take a long screwdriver or punch through the hole to press on the metal spring clip. Pressing in on it should pop it loose.

I just pulled both of mine and had the spring cover portion replaced and rekeyed.

Ok I got the lock cylinder out, taken it apart and there's no piece of key...Can locksmiths make 'replacement' keys just based on the lock cylinder?

Yes, I had the key made for the locks in my "new" rig. It was easier than trying to replace the cylinders. The doors aren't that bad, but the hatch is another matter. I took in the two door cylinders. They took them apart, cleaned them, reassembled with new facia and made me two new keys. It cost me $27, less than the cost of one lock cylinder.

jstggs said:
Ok I got the lock cylinder out, taken it apart and there's no piece of key...Can locksmiths make 'replacement' keys just based on the lock cylinder?
You might also be able to have the lock rekeyed for the same key that you use in the ignition.

I think sometimes you can take in the build codes, vin, or some number from the vehicle and have the dealer cut a new key. I'm sure it would be a little more than having a locksmith make a copy, but sometimes straight from the source helps.

Let me know if you have any luck. The keys to my 90 pioneer are looking pretty worn.

Good news, my daughter is home from school this weekend and she says: BTW I found these under the seat in my Laredo, they don't work for mine are they yours? It was the long lost copies of the keys...LOL

TJ-Shocker-The original round key for mine developed a crack right before the end of its life. I worked at a stealership behind the parts counter for a few months, aparently every key has a master code number but they only bother telling you what it is on the newer rigs.

Back