• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light acting weird

87baseomatic

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 4.0 xj has the odd check engine light thing going on. Randomly while driving it will flicker dimmly on and off a few times. Its been going on for a few days now. I tried the key on key off trick to pull the codes but nothing seems to be stored. The light has never actually stayed on. It will just flicker, and its not sensative to bumps or rain, its just random.

Any ideas???

It sounds like the light is shorting out. When is a code that's thrown, the check engine light will come on and stay on and will give the code with the key on/off thing.

The ECM could be going out, but I doubt that..

I would check the engine check bulb and wires..

Elias

I've seen other manufacturers vehicles (OBD I) do that when the O2 sensor is failing, when it totaly fails it will throw a code.

I got no response with the key on key off method. We have a snap on scanner at my work, but I cant find the software cartride for domestic cars, so I haven't been able to scan it yet.

87baseomatic said:
i will check that but 192k on the jeep. I have the feeling if its the original o2 that it failed years ago.
I've found them to mostly fail at around 120,000 miles or around 200,000 K's, Renix and OBD 1. Other than the occasional fluke. Or an O2 sensor that has been changed when it was supposed to be changed according to the maintenance schedule.
They likely fail in stages and get unreliable earlier, the reason the maintenence schedule recommends changing them much earlier than total failure.

someone else suggested a bad bulb too, Im gonna switch the bulb with another one and see if it still does it. I am getting a random noise now too. That whining noise you get with a bad ground but its coming from the engine bay and it only happens sporadically. I wonder if the two are related.

Now my check engine light doesn't even turn on when I start the jeep. Im not sure if its a bad signal or the bulb is just shot. I still get this funky ground noise too....

I don't have an fsm for the 92. Only for the 01 at my house and the one from my old 87. Anybody know where the light gets signal from?

87baseomatic said:
. Anybody know where the light gets signal from?
It get it's signal from the eng control module. I don't know the correct abbreviation or

terminology. All sensors report malfunctions to the computer or brain ad it turns the CEL on.

The only other thing that might turn it on would be a short to another wire. If your getting no

codes then it will be a lot of searching and head scratching. Sorry I couldn't pinpoint it for you.

ecm, ecu, pcm every manufacturer calls its something different. Im just curious what wire is the signal to the light itself so I can see if its get a signal when the ignition is switched on. I tried to the key on-key off method and got nothing. I hooked up a coworkers snapon scanner to the diagnostic ports and it connected but no codes were stored in the fault memory. I will have to do some more research into it. I would like to have the mil light working properly.

still no luck the cel and the maintainece req'd light are both inop. I find it funny that both bulbs would burn out at the same time. Rig runs awesome but I wasnt able to pull any codes with the key on key off method.

Not sure about Chrysler ECM's, but generally the ECM supplies a ground to the light. One side of the light is connected to 12V when the ignition switch is in the "run" position. The light bulb is not burned out if it flicks on randomly, unless a condition existed that would normally result in the light being on all the time. If that were true, you'd have a trouble code stored. On the other hand, the absence of a light when the key is turned on, but engine not running indicates a problem. Unfortunately, your first symptoms--random light, would not be logically associated with your second symptom--no light. The "association" may be that you were wiggling wires, etc, trying to determine the source of the first symptom and inadvertently pulled the wires loose for the Check Engine light.
For schematics of your dash and ECM wiring, either buy the appropriate FSM, or check the reference section of your local library; I've had luck finding usable diagrams at my library.

Finally had a chance to scan the car. Snap-on scanner connects fine and showed no codes.

I pulled the cluster. The bulbs weren't making good contact. Problem fixed now.

Back