• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bar

bob mac

NAXJA Forum User
I understand that alot of XJ owners Toss the rear Sway Bar when they install a lift. Is that ok? does it not affect the handling of the vehichle?

Im Going to lift my 94 2" polys on the front and blocks under the rear leafs.

thanks

Bob Mac :flame:

=================
compound axle wrap.
=================
X2 on that

==========================
does it not affect the handling of the vehichle?
===========================
Yes, it will. If you run empty or very light most of the time. Your handling may improve by removing it. If you tow or run heavily load with stuff on the luggage rack you may want to look into disconnects in the rear.
It's more about your driving stile than anything,

Are you French?

Last edited:
I thought the 2" budget lift like Rocky Road was pretty popular. With 1.5" shackles and 1/2" "Mini blocks" is axle wrap and spring fatigue still a problem?

I wasn't going to do any lift just fresh Upcountry springs, but that 2" would have saved my doors in the woods the other night wheeling with the owls.

badron said:
=================
compound axle wrap.
=================
X2 on that

==========================
does it not affect the handling of the vehichle?
===========================
Yes, it will. If you run empty or very light most of the time. Your handling may improve by removing it. If you tow or run heavily load with stuff on the luggage rack you may want to look into disconnects in the rear.
It's more about your driving stile than anything,

Are you French?

i find i to handle extremely well now, i think i will leave it there

docchaynes said:
I thought the 2" budget lift like Rocky Road was pretty popular. With 1.5" shackles and 1/2" "Mini blocks" is axle wrap and spring fatigue still a problem?

I wasn't going to do any lift just fresh Upcountry springs, but that 2" would have saved my doors in the woods the other night wheeling with the owls.

a longer shackle will allow a stock rear leaf to reverse arch faster than without. it allows more travel of the shackle which allows the leaf to straighten out more or even bend opposite of the arch.

a full length or long add a leaf would be the best bet short of replacement leafs. especialy if your rear is already saggin like a old womans bust.

hth
stewie

it is not bad at all my jeep has about 4.5 of lift and 32's. Im used to the feeling, but my dad who own's a stocker noticed the slight body roll that is present. IMO Lose the bar within a week or two you wont even be able to tell the difference

If your leaves are almost flat then the add a leaf is not your answer. It doesn;t have the strength to support what 3-4 leaves once did. It will wear out much faster. You'll need to get a new set of leaves or put together a bastard pack. (you can find this reference on site).

Removing the Rear Sway Bar WILL AFFECT HANDLING! Chrysler/AMC did NOT give up profits to put something on a car to do NOTHING AT ALL.

BUT, removing a rear sway bar may NOT affect handling in a negative way for the applications your probably considering.

Less roll rate in the rear increases under-steer, a desirable characteristic that is generally considered safer. There is less chance having an accident if you plow forward in too tight of a turn (under steer) than spin out (over steer).

Of course removing the rear sway bar will decrease over all roll resistance and make the vehicle lean more in turns and too much understeer is undiserable (you don't want to plow forward in easy turns, right?). I'd be surprised if removing that small of rear sway bar would do that. But, if you raising the vehicle, you've pretty much thrown balanced handling characteristics out the window.

Now, for the opposite, Removing Front Sway Bars that may reduce under steer and maybe even create over steer (depending on your suspension set-up) and many don't consider it safe, for speeds over 35 mph, unless you've totally re-done the suspension and done the math to make sure you have characteristics that make the vehicle safe handling at high speeds.

I have a 3 1/2" lift & removed my sway bar & it sucks on the highway without it. It's like driving an old van without a sway bar. It drove much better in all the years I had the sway bar. I've read so many posts about how it's not needed I decided to pull it. Your rear swaybar is a good thing if you drive over 50mph.Since it's off I'm going to modify mine & use TJ extended links mounted on the inboard U-bolts for clearance & travel. If it works out I'll post pictures.

I'm on stock suspension and I pulled mine. I honestly can't really tell the difference. If anything, it feels more stable going into parking lots and across railroad tracks.

The Upcountry models didn't come with a rear sway, and as long as you don't drive like a madman, you will probably not notice the difference.

I had mine taken off when I got the 3" lift. It doesn't feel bad at all, and I wouldn't put it back on .

I ran down the highway with my front dosco'ed and it scared the livin' bajeezus outta me, though! :shiver:

The Upcountry models didn't come with a rear sway, and as long as you don't drive like a madman, you will probably not notice the difference.

IIRC the upcountry springs were a little stiffer as well as allowing for 1" taller ride height.

Didn't the police model XJ's have bars at both ends?

Back