• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 2.5 XJ

geepxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I just picked up another XJ the other day. This is my first 4 cylinder XJ I Have ever owned, so I have some questions. I have done some searching here for the last couple of days on any and all info I can on 84 XJs with the carbed 2.5 ( which I belive is the AMC version) and from what I have read on here is that it has an AX-15 5 speed, and I have a NP261 T case ( which I have never heard of). So my questions are does anyone have any links or info on this T case? In the major of the threads on here I have noticed that most 2.5 XJs have a NP207 that can be doubled up for a low gear ratio. I was also curious if anyone has any info on swaps for the motor, like what type of trannys and t cases are adaptalbe ( with adapter from AA or Novak or some other company) that would help with gear ratio for either side drop, I have a ford D44 and a chevy D44 for the front so a little extra metal fab for a skid and some brackets won't hurt. Well thanks for any info.

It's a AX5 trans on the 4 cyl (unless someone swapped an AX-15 setup from a Dakota in) and NP207 tcase with 2.61 low range. The front Chev 44 will have the wrong side drop. Get one from a '84 to '91 Grand Wagoneer (or '80 to '83 Cherokee ofr Wagoneer full size) for a better fit. Might as well use the rear axle since it's much stronger too. Gearing will be fun as the 4 cyl came with 3.73, 4.10 or 4.88 but it will feel gutless with the carbed 4 cyl anyways. Score a Fuel injected YJ or TJ 4 cyl motor and EFI harness for almost double the power!

Thanks for the info, and about the whole using a pass side drop front axle, I was going to see what trannys and t case adapters are out ther to maybe do a SM420 with a D300 or something of that matter for a lower ratio before gearing the axles.

Back