• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chry 8.25 27 or 29 spline how to tell?

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ that has the corporate 8.25 rear diff. The door sticker states it's mfg date of 9 - 95 (Sept '95). I have read in 2 places here that all '96's had 29 spline AND that only the late model '96's had 29 spline and the early model '96's had 27 spine axles.

Anyone know how to tell the difference?

I emailed corporate using one of the supplied links with the last 6 digits of my vin regarding options, but it did not give me specifics. I replyed asking if they could tell me the 27 vs 29 spline, but have not gotten a reply as of yet.

Thanks,

Anthropy said:
I have a '96 XJ that has the corporate 8.25 rear diff. The door sticker states it's mfg date of 9 - 95 (Sept '95). I have read in 2 places here that all '96's had 29 spline AND that only the late model '96's had 29 spline and the early model '96's had 27 spine axles.

Anyone know how to tell the difference?

I emailed corporate using one of the supplied links with the last 6 digits of my vin regarding options, but it did not give me specifics. I replyed asking if they could tell me the 27 vs 29 spline, but have not gotten a reply as of yet.

Thanks,

Count the splines.

On a 96, counting is the only way to be 100% absolutely sure.

The VIN on my '96, when entered into the computer, shows it has 27 spline shafts. So when I ordered a PowerTrax several years ago, I got 27 spline couplers. Much to my disappointment, my Jeep has 29 spline axles. Mine was made in Sept of '96 and I have since found it takes some other '97 parts too. Yours probably has 27 spline shafts, but because Chrysler can't be trusted, counting is the only way to be sure.

Wouldn't count on it. :) The 96 models were made until Aug-Sept. 1996...maybe even later.

Back