• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes "CLUNK"

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi again all,

OK, I recently changed my front rotors and pads. Since then I have this "clunk" at low speed braking. 20 mph or under it happens. I've taken off the pads since and I simply cannot find anything wrong. Perhaps the pads weren't exactly to spec. I bought the "wearever" ones for about $30.00 a set.
Perhaps I should trade out to OEM ones with the proper shims, etc...

Anyone else have this problem or any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.

Did you properly break them in?
There is antisqeak goo you can put on the back side of the pads (the part that goes against the caliper not rotor), that might help.
The brakes are self-adjusting, so shims shouldn't make a difference.

I may have had the same problem after I changed mine.
My "clunk"; One slow speed clunk when stopping. Sounded like something was slightly shifting and hitting in the brakes.
Problem, I had the pads on upside down. There are fingers on the pad backing plates that hold them in place on the rotors. Two locate the bad at the base ( If I remember correctly. ) and One on top.
Once I flipped the pads the sound went away.
There are other things that go "clunk" in the night, that was mine.

No idea how I flipped them, but I did.
Not obvious at all when looking at the book or parts and the brakes worked fine except for the clunk.
The pads fit either way. I took them off, one side at a time, turned them over and around so the curve matched the rotor and replaced. No more noise. Anti squeal doesn't make any difference with the noise.
I don't really like to re-do repairs so when I did the brakes I also flushed the fluid, put in new Brembo rotors, cleaned and lubed everything first.

The OEM pads with the proper size shims cured the clunk. The other brands upper guide tab was about .020 in away from the caliper guide rail. Every time I braked the inner pad would slide forward and "clunk" against it.
Annoying as hell.
So anyway, its gone...................for now.

My autozone pads don't clunk, but they squeak until warmed up.

BTW - The brakes on my dad's Honda Element "clunk" if you brake after driving in reverse, etc. Dealer says it's that the Honda calipers have some play in them to allow for corrosion, expansion, etc....and it's just them moving back into position after moving backwards when traveling in reverse. Not sure if that makes sense, in terms of the calipers having "play" or what not, though.

Bustednutz, check this out..Remove your brake pads and have a look at the steering knuckle where the pads take a seat. Cherokee's have habit of wearing down the steering knuckle where the pads seet. They end up making a groove in the knuckle, and when you apply the brakes they "cluck" around when they take another seet...thus wearing the groove even further.

There are 3 ways to fix this. Starting with the easiest, grab some shims and shim the pads...you might have to tap them into place after you install the shims as they should be quite tight. If that doesn't fix it, you can lay down a bead of weld where the pads sit in the knuckle, and finely file them down until you get your desired tight fit. Last, you can replace the knuckls...but that's bloody expensive...and over time they will just wear down again.

my Morse ceramic pads clunk, and they're from AZ

they've got the "lifetime warranty" so i've replaced them 3 times now and the clunk has never gone away

so i really think now where you get the pad makes a difference

i hate to hijack this thread, but which control arm bushings should be replaced and is there a way to check them???

with 90k i wouldn't think they would be bad yet, but who knows....

Back