• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Drain

bradss16

NAXJA Forum User
i need to change the lower radiator hose on my 95 xj 4.0i6 and i was wondering if there is a trick to doing this so it doesnt pour out uncontrollably on the ground (I am at school and will be doing this in a parking lot) I was thinking jsut cutting a small hole in the hose and let it go. P.S. Do i have a draincock that is stock?

Loosen the lower rad clamp, have a bucket underneath, and slowly pull it off. Make sure the system is depressurized. It may get a tad messy, just have a hose or bucket of water to rinse down what spills on the ground. Or cutting a small hole may work.

I don't recall there being a petcock in the stock rad. I know there is one in my CSF cuz I just broke it last week. I do what Gauge said and just try and contain the mess.

i pulled the lower radiator hose on my 2000 jeep to drain my system and it was a MESS. i had a big bucket underneath and only cought half. cutting a hole in the hose may be more controlled as long as you are obviously replacing the hose. good luck

Draincock is on the lower left of the rad as you face the vehicle. You will have to remove the grille (phillips screws) to reach it. It works the same way a brake bleeder does, so you can tag a couple feet of 3/16" hose on the end and route it to a bucket before you unscrew it.

In theory, it might be cleaner than pulling the rad hose, but its a bigger PITA than it sounds, and with an ID only somewhat bigger than a coffee straw, it's very slow to drain and requires much coaxing and jiggling to keep the flow going.

You might want to try it just so you can say "Okay, I'm not doing it that way again"

Back