• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 is kaput, rebuild or swap?

mark

NAXJA Forum User
ok, the 242 has 236k on it, pops like noones buisiness now, im guessing its either time to rebuild it or swap something out in its place, an atlas or a flipped 300 yould be great, but thats a little more coin than i have right now, so im guessing maybe a 231 in its place, but a guy i know with a toyota has me thinking, he has a dual case setup that can crawl like noons buisiness, is there any way to do dual cases in my xj, what cases would work, oh yeah i have an aw-4 auto tranny. any help on this is appreciated, i wanna get back on the trail as soon as possible, and not break the bank doing it
thanks,
mark

since you dont have alot of 'coin' to spend, then I suggest you forget about the duel cases. unless you wanna go 203/205 combo but then the adapter is going to bring it right back up to the mucho $ combo. I flipped a D300 and stuck it behind my Aw4. I suggest you do the same. Alot of these guys go get a SYE for their 231/242. for around 300 dollars. thats 300 dollars down the trash.

heres what I suggest. Sell your 242... you can get over 100 on it cuz their rare. take that and purches yourself a junker D300, for around a $100(thats how much my D300 cost) then go get yourself a flip kit. you can get one cheap now. $560 shipped. the kit comes with all the new seals you need. most D300 would outlast the vehicle 2 times over. so no need of a rebuild kit, if ur not anal. for just over 500 you got yourself a steel cased gear driven xcase. then save up your money. put a nice 4:1 and a HD 32 spline output. and label yourself a non ATLAS poser.;)

and you have your SYE all with it.:D

yeah, i can get the flip kit for a little less probibally, since i live like 15 miles from the guy that makes them, and have done some buisiness with them before, i think ill ride down there one day this week and talk to him about it

what about the twinstick kit and all that stuff? do you need it just to get rear wheel drive low?

is the case really that bad, or do we really just want a different case?

sounds like all thats wrong is a stretched chain....

maybe some worn mode/range forks....

t-case parts are not expensive, and are very easy to rebuild....

juicexj24 said:
Rebuilt it. Cost much cheaper and I think it's a great t-case.

http://www.rigidsteel.com/M242.html

This link has a master rebuild kit and drive chain. Juice

I have purchased from them before, excellent service.

On another note, I plan on buying that same kit to rebuild my 242 as well. I have not found a price better than that, including the shipping.

that's a great price on the rebuild kit, but you may be able to save some bucks on the chain at national drivetrain in chicago.

ask for kevin ethelridge, tell him bj mcdonald sent you

Back