• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 o2 sensor

blackdogxj

NAXJA Forum User
I need help...i am looking to buy pass my o2 sensor that is in the cat. i have seen the simulators from summit and it didnt look like it would work. what would be the eaisest thing to do to get rid of the o2 sensor.

by the way its a 1997 Cherokee 4.0L with a punched out cat.

Thanks
Brad

Most credible reports have found a drop in performance when the cat was removed. Why not just replace it with one that works, and pick up a bit of performance too? Cost is not much different from the oxygen sensor imitator device.

The easiest way to avoid the check engine light is to install the simulator. Of course, it's against federal law to operate like that on the street. If you have emissions inspections in your area, they do look and see if the cat is installed and that the rear O2 sensor is hooked up. They can stick you with a pretty good fine too.

Of course, the sensors simulators are a rip off and you could actually buy a cheap cat for a few buck more. If you're electrically inclined, you can build your own simulator for $5 of parts from radioshack.

i am in college right now and im at a tech school going over all these sensors in class...it keeps throwing codes for the sensor even before the cat was punched out. i had replaced it about 1 week before i punched the cat out.

what types of parts would i need to make my own simulator?

Thanks
Brad

blackdogxj said:
i am in college right now and im at a tech school going over all these sensors in class...it keeps throwing codes for the sensor even before the cat was punched out. i had replaced it about 1 week before i punched the cat out.

what types of parts would i need to make my own simulator?

Thanks
Brad

I guess college and tech school don't teach you how to google eh? :}

Search on "oxygen sensor simulator" and the second hit is a how-to, complete with schematic and parts list. This one is simpler and more what you need for a rear sensor. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/oxygen_sensor_simulator/

Last edited:
Back