• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a Jeep out of state. . .

Supple1

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about getting a 1992 Cherokee from out of state and I am wondering how big of a hassel it is to get it registered and everything? I know california dmv's can be a pain.

It is modified (lift, tires, exhaust, etc), how much of a problem will that create?

I just want a nice trail rig, but I need to be able to drive to the trails :)

Thanks!

I bought my 97 and my wifes 94 from AZ and OR respectively. There was no inspection of smog equipment on either one. There was no check for anything about lift, tires, etc.

THE ONLY extra thing that was required different from an in state purchase was a VIN check. I went to AAA and had it done in about ten minutes. They look at the VIN on the dash and the one in the door....If those two match each other and the title...you will have no problems.

I have AAA so I would definitely go through there. I found out it was registered in CO, but he moved to Texas and let it expire. He went to get it registered in TX, and it passed smog and inspection except for the emergency brake cable had been disconnected (for wheeling)... and he hasn't had time to get it fixed.

JohnX...do you remember what kind of fees you paid to get it registered and everything?

Thanks for the help!

My fees on the 97 were $130 plus the tax...which will depend on purchase price. On top of that, I did have to get it smogged which was about another $50.

Cant find the paper for the 94 so I don't know how much that one was, but I'm pretty sure it was just over $100.

I just got my 93 with North Carolina reg. and it was really no big deal. I went to the DMV (with the XJ) and paid $169 fees , went outside at the same time and had the VIN check done (no waiting). I put a new CAT on it because the guy never had to smog it and as soon as I get the smog done.......Plates are mine!!! Its been almost no hassle at all especially with what I expected from CA DMV.

Oh, and the CARB thing doesn't apply to non-OBDII vehicles.

JohnX said:
What CARB thing applies to OBDII...My 97 is OBDII and was no different than the 94?

John

Check to see if you have an O2 sensor in your '94 cat. I don't. you will have one in your '97.

The state charged something like $350 in addition to the normal fees for an out of state vehicle without Ca. equivilant smog equipment for years but they lost in court and can't do that anymore. These days you can register any used car with at least 7500 miles as long as it passes the smog regs from the state that it was registered in for the normal fees only, no $350 penalty. I found out about this from talking to the VW dealer about buying a Diesel VW which dosn't meet Ca smog laws.

slowrider said:
The state charged something like $350

That was what I was thinking of. It was 10 years ago when I was dealing with that (I was moving to CA then)

AFAIK, you should only have to pay tags, smog, and any indicated repairs to the emission system. I seem to recall hearing a year or so ago that the CA "Smog Impact Fee" was illegal somehow, and was refunded to an awful lot of people - and suspended entirely for the rest (do check this!)

Also, have you checked www.dmv.ca.gov? You might find some resources there - or at www.arb.ca.gov, the California Air Resources Board..

Provided that the vehicle's engine management system has not been modified, or has been modified with parts that can be proved to have a CARB EO#, you should not have too much trouble. Of course, if ARB EO parts have been used, you'll want to contact those manufacturers and ask for "CARB EO# Underhood Stickers," since that will simplify smog checks for you later.

I'd make sure to get the last smog report from TX - even if it isn't a pretest out here, and I'm sure the numbers won't apply - it will still give you an idea where to look to make repairs.

An oddity - most vehicle manufacturers will either take vehicles that don't meet CA specs and relabel them as "49-States" or "Federal" - and a lot of CA vehicles end up being sold Federally. I'd be only mildly surprised to find out if it actually had a CA sticker under the hood ("This vehicle meets all applicable standard for vehicles for sale in California for the XXXX model year") vice Federal. Stranger things have happend, no?

5-90

Can't check the o2 sensor on the 94, already sold. But I do remeber that it was a california emissions system sticker under the hood. It was originally sold in New Hampshire, and then the girl moved to Oregon a couple month later. I brought it from OR to CA without any trouble.

I also bought a 1975 Olds Starfire from a guy in Nevada...It was labeled a federal car. I did have to smog it(once). It didn't have a cat because it was a federal car...It was only required to meet federal standards even though it was in CA.

Point is... I wouldn't change anything without trying to smog it first.

Back