• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating problems

negativecreep

NAXJA Forum User
ok ive searched and tried a lot of stuff but im still overheating at highway speeds. heres what ive done:

replaced thermostat (verified its not installed backwards)
coolant flush
added water wetter to coolant
verified proper coolant level
new pressure bottle
new fan clutch
verified water pump is working and pumping (hard) under load
verified electric fan is kicking on
cleaned grass, etc out of radiator fins
disconnected power to AC compressor (lines were ice cold with AC off for some reason)
verified cat isnt plugged (no cat)

a friend of mine recommended pulling the radiator and backflushing it to see if any gunk comes out then putting everything back together and doing a flush with some kinda additive to remove blockages since i cant afford a new radiator right now. im at my wits end with this thing. a few months back it was overheating but i could crank up the heater and it would bring the temps down to normal, now not even using the heater on full blast will cool this motor and it wont cool down at low or high speeds.

just recently ive noticed some sort of leak in the cooling system i cant find but i see a spray pattern on the underside of the hood and around the fan/compressor. i dont see anything dripping underneath and dont see any puddles when it sits for a while. is this just in need of a new radiator or is there anything else i can try? its getting to where i cant even make the 10min drive into town without being in the red by the time i get there.

this is a 89 wagoneer w/4.0 I6 auto

Back