• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 xj stock dana 44

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
My junk yard Dana 44 was noisy and leaked from the right side. Two different guys diagnoised the noise as the right wheel bearing. Had both bearing and seals replaced at a machine shop, but the new seal on the right side started to leak within a couple of days of insallation. It's still noisy but the most trusted diagnoser from above said the wheel bearing noise was gone and the remaining noise is tire scuff. The right race comes out pretty easy (as does the left race) with out using any tools (I understand they are not a press fit). I was thinking maybe the race was turning in the seat(causing the noise and maybe slight wobble that could have ruined the new seal), but it shows no sign of gaulling or scaping in the axle housing seat or the outside of the bearing race. Any body have an opinion on why my new seal failed so fast?

What kind of shape is the axle shaft surface in? If the surface that the seal rides on is rough or out-of-round, it can tear the seal, particularly if you don't put a little oil or grease on the seal before hand to lubricate it.

take a look at the shaft. look for any burs or things like that that may have nicked the seal upon installation. where is it leaking from? between the seal and the shaft or between the axle tube and the seal? check for any sort of burrs, nicks, cuts anything like that that would cause it to leak past. maybe when you install the new seal, put a bit of rtv around the axle tube before you put it in? heck, it might not even be leaking, but it might just be residual fluid from before.

It's leaking where the shaft goes through the seal. It's at the machine shop right now, I'm going to stop by tomorrow and take a look. Thanks for your input.

Back