• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP with 134 conversion

tony597fitter

NAXJA Forum User
I posted last night. I put 3 cans of gas with oil in last night and the pressure gauge only read 27psi. The relief started to blow and the expansion valve sounded like it was going to blow. So I dumped the gas, and this morning I put 2 cans of gas with oil in and the pressure gauge is only reading 25psi. The air is cold but I think it should be better. The cans were the big ones 12oz. of gas and 3 ozs. of oil. The expansion valve is new and the filter is new (134). Any help would be appreciated.

Converting R12 systems to R134 is NOT that simple, contrary to what some persons would have you believe. To do it right, you must do the following, at a minimum:

1. drain the old R12 compatible oil from the compressor, and replace it with R134a compatible oil.
2. evacuate the system (with a vacuum pump) to remove all the old R12
3. replace the receiver dryer
4. refill with R134a, watching the pressure guages, and noting that a typical R134a fill will be about 10% less than that for R12.

DId you follow this procedure? It sounds like you have too much oil in your system, among other possible issues.

Back