• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem after hub assembly install

cw50must

NAXJA Forum User
H jut instaL`ed a nq htb aqembly h the pQpsenger side. Took it out for a test spin a noticed a few things. The first two time on the braje td pddal cidn't cel rigp btt i seems „` have come back. now the vehicle is pulling hard to the right. Before it wen straigr. Als whdn tpinf to tpin th whdel ˆp has some resistance, and there was of hot sort of smell coming frnm t`t side. Every`ing "lŸ`ks" ok, whdre d I stat?

Make sure the caliper and brake pads are installed correctly.

If so several other possibilities come to mind.
1. Colapsed lining in the rubber hose going to that caliper. This can hold pressure in the caliper.

2. Bad caliper with a sticking piston.

The burning smell is a hot brake stinking.

Andy

Did you push the piston back into the caliper when you removed it? If so, that would explain the wierd feel the first one or two times on the brake...that caliper had to be pumped back up. There is a chance that moving the caliper around damaged the rubber hose, especially if you allowed the caliper to hang by the hose during the install...

Did you compare the hubs to each other,I believe there are are 3 different ones.The wrong one would definately cause some binding.

anony91xj said:
There are different hubs for an XJ? What are the differences?
I'm pretty sure there are 3, not sure exactly of the cutoff dates: first, the ones from the beginning until sometime in the early 90's which were made for cast iron rotors. The second are for composite rotors, which have a thinner center section. At some point later, they went back to cast rotors, and I think there's another version, but it isn't the same as the first. According to my local boneyard you can't be sure just by the year either. You really need to measure your old hub to be sure.

I'm embarrassed a little, it turns out when re-installing the inside brake pad slipped out of the notch in the caliper and was bound up in there.

Ok so I fixed it and that is all good drives straight, no rsistance and stops just fine.

Now new problem, when turning the wheel either stopped or at low speeds I get 4-5 clicks then it stops. so if I were to go in a full circle it would not keep doing it just right at first then it goes a awy but then does it again when you change directions. Its almost like the when you would put the card in the bicycle spokes, that clicking sound. Now my friend is out there looking while I go back and forth and nothing apears to be moving. The U-joint on that axle looks ok and we pried on it a little and it felt ok.

Cause this was supposed to hold me over for about 2 months or so when I can get my other 2 complete axles that I'm building up swapped in.

After hearing stories of this happening with cheap chinese versions it got me thinking. I located a used one and swapped it in just now. All the noise went away. Hurray. Hopefully I'll be able to return this one, I guess if not its a lession learned on trying to save a few bucks.

Back