• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Mod First

nowandforever617

NAXJA Forum User
Since this is the modified tech discussion i figure i would come to you gyus for ideas, i have a 98 XJ and its all stock, i just got $500 what can i do to the jeep with that small amount of cash?

nowandforever617 said:
Since this is the modified tech discussion i figure i would come to you gyus for ideas, i have a 98 XJ and its all stock, i just got $500 what can i do to the jeep with that small amount of cash?
Well i have a 1998 cherokee 4.0 with the auto. I realized yesterday (dragstrip) that cheap bolt ons are not the way to go.... :flamemad: . If i were you i would just consider the rusty's air tube with the filter or any intake for that matter because they typically sound good. I would try saving up for a stroker or something. What are the specs for the rest of your jeep? If not, im pretty sure there's a lot of budget lifting ideas out there. but it depends on what you want to do with it that's all.

what kind of wheeling do plan to do? Or are you just wanting to put money into it to make it look and sound "cool"?

If you have mechanical problems, fix those first. If your suspension is about dead, then lift kits work too. But you can get soem good kits out there but the tires will add a little more to it, prolly over $500.

lets see here, with my first $500 i spent on my jeep i got a CB radio, a set of KC lights, rutsys airtube, tow hook brackets. all that was done, of course, after i did the new car tune up and everything.

thats probly not the best way to spend it, but thats what i did.

-tim

First, recovery points. No question. Next, I'd do gas tank and transfer case skid plates. And then mud tires if you've got any money left over. An XJ is very capaple with a stock-height suspension.

Mambeu said:
First, recovery points. No question. Next, I'd do gas tank and transfer case skid plates. And then mud tires if you've got any money left over. An XJ is very capaple with a stock-height suspension.

x2...x2...x2

My stock XJ surpized me the first few times I had it wheeling.... I and I was moving from a V8 CJ5 with 4 inches of lift and 33's

Front and rear recovery points..if you have a reciever hitch in the rear that is covered, get a front reciever for $100 or so. Or if you want to splurge get one of CRB's front bumbers with receiver and recovery points for $180

Buy a Hi-lift for $50

Homemade front swaybar disconnects $5

If you work it right you can get a set of front spacers for $35 or so, find a set of S-10 or XJ springs somebody wants rid of, pay $10 for some small hardware and make a 2" lift for under $50. Keep an eye on the local trader paper for parts.

After your 2" lift find some used 31x10.50's, they may rub a little but will fit fine. Don't pay more than $150-175

All that still leaves you under $500

some of the stuff i forgot to say my jeep has a 4.0 and it is a auto it has newer bf goodwrench a/t ko not sure of the size, they where on there when i got it, i love to go trail riding wich is why i got my jeep there are ORV trails not to far from my house, and i did have a huge truck that i use to take on them, but for the most part i want it to be functinal on trails but at the same time look awsome because i dive it 4-8 hrs a day. a quick question are s-10 leafs bigger? because a lot of mods i hear about for jeeps involve s-10 leafs.

Last edited:
nowandforever617 said:
some of the stuff i forgot to say my jeep has a 4.0 and it is a auto it has newer bf goodwrench a/t ko not sure of the size, they where on there when i got it, i love to go trail riding wich is why i got my jeep there are ORV trails not to far from my house, and i did have a huge truck that i use to take on them, but for the most part i want it to be functinal on trails but at the same time look awsome because i dive it 4-8 hrs a day. a quick question are s-10 leafs bigger? because a lot of mods i hear about for jeeps involve s-10 leafs.

S10 and Dakota pickups are sprung under and have 2 1/2 inch wide leaves like the XJ. Since they are sprung under they have more arch to them thus will provide lift when bolted up to a XJ

Here are some good reads for you start with....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=bastard+pack

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86542&highlight=tuning

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=Suspension+tuning

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57737&highlight=dakpak

If I did it all over again, I'd definately get sliders/gas tank skid/tow hooks first. Buy a used set of mud tires or all terrains and save your money up for what you really want. Screw all the performance crap, like intakes and tb spacers and all that junk. They'll leave you with an empty uslessly wasted money feeling. The bolt on performance crap never really works well.

First mod??? learn to get as much as possible out of the stock rig....after installing some tow points so you can get pulled out when you find the limits.

Back