• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different ratios

holeshot

NAXJA Forum User
Was wondering if I could wheel with 4.88's front and 5.13's rear without screwing the t-case? I would only use 4wd for the obsticles and trails. No pavement or regular cruising. Oh and it would only be for this weekend. So whats the word, are the ratios close enough or should I stay away from it? Non Disconnect D30 front and D44 Rear

You'd have to run different tire sizes to compensate for the different gear ratios.

I wouldn't do it.

holeshot said:
Was wondering if I could wheel with 4.88's front and 5.13's rear without screwing the t-case? I would only use 4wd for the obsticles and trails. No pavement or regular cruising. Oh and it would only be for this weekend. So whats the word, are the ratios close enough or should I stay away from it? Non Disconnect D30 front and D44 Rear

Rule of thumb is 2% differance or less....(5.13/4.88) -1 = 5.1% differance. I think it is too big a difference.

Sand drag guys run whacky combos like that all the time...they say the front tires "cut a groove" that the rear tires follow....DON'T try it on yer Heep..things will go crunch..

I once saw a Toyota on the Rubicon running 4.10 in the front, and 5.29 in the rear. It was a little, uh, clunky, but he made it through with a little tire slip.

Back