• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I feel dumb.

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
All this time I was worried that I had a sticky valve or bad lifter but after using a mechanics stethoscope I located my noise.It turns out that my mustang 5.0 injectors I got from Bruce at fiveomotorsports are the culprit.These are the yellow top 19lb/hr bosch pintle type.For the longest time I thought it was my valvetrain clacking but it's definately the injectors.

Wow these things are loud!!You can here them ticking from 10 feet away with the hood shut!Is this anything to be concerned about?Anyone else notice a noise issue with these injectors?

I listened to my brothers 89 5.0 mustang and his injectors tick but not as loud as mine....

Loud tapping clacking Injectors

All this time I was worried that I had a sticky valve or bad lifter but after using a mechanics stethoscope I located my noise.It turns out that my mustang 5.0 injectors I got from Bruce at fiveomotorsports are the culprit.These are the yellow top 19lb/hr bosch pintle type.For the longest time I thought it was my valvetrain clacking but it's definately the injectors.

Wow these things are loud!!You can here them ticking from 10 feet away with the hood shut!Is this anything to be concerned about?Anyone else notice a noise issue with these injectors?

I listened to my brothers 89 5.0 mustang and his injectors tick but not as loud as mine....

Im having the same exact problem. The injectors are LOUD! I should take an audio recording or something! They are not from 5-0 motorsports, they are from ebay (Ultrasonic cleaned etc) mustang 5.0 19lb/hr orange tops.

The noise is definantly from the injectors, and the noise comes and goes. It doesnt matter if the engine is warm or cold.

Nothing else is wrong with this Jeep, just LOUD injectors. Sounds exactly like a sticking lifter, or worn rocker noise. Definetly coming from the injectors. Verified with a mechanics stethescope (best ~8 bucks ive ever spent!).

Do you still have this issue Outlander?

Does anyone else have any comments?

I hated the mustang 5.0 injectors I got. They were sonic cleaned with new pintles and baskets. They worked ok for about 5kmi in my stroker, then they went to shit. hand detonation everywhere, bad idle, generally rough runnning, and they were loud.

switched to a set of LT1injectors and it was a night and day difference, motor idled better, had more power and better economy. It was much quieter too

I hated the mustang 5.0 injectors I got. They were sonic cleaned with new pintles and baskets. They worked ok for about 5kmi in my stroker, then they went to shit. hand detonation everywhere, bad idle, generally rough runnning, and they were loud.

switched to a set of LT1injectors and it was a night and day difference, motor idled better, had more power and better economy. It was much quieter too

Do you have more info on the lt1's that you used? Were they 19#, or did you need bigger ones for your stroker? Cause i need 19#'ers

Try the Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I had Ford vans and the dealer mechanic always told me to use it when I started hearing the ticking noise from the injectors. It would go away for a bit then come back around 600-800 miles later. I had it in under 14000 miles for what I thought was bad valves or lifter noise.

I played around with 5.0 stangs back in the day and the injectors were always loud, a set of headers and a "off-road" "H" pipe and some 40's and you couldn't hear them any more!

I replaced the ones on my RENIX with OEM replacements which cost way too much, should have gone with the ford injectors. At least they don't leak and burn down your Jeep.

My 88 has 5.0 injectors,though I'm not sure of the exact year or style, and they make no noise what so ever. They were installed by the previous owner last winter and as far as I know they didn't make any noise for him either.

The holley 2 barrel TBI on our 350 can be heard from 10+ feet away. We thought it was valvetrain noise, but you could definately see them firing in time with the noise (a benefit of the open tbi system?). Time to pick up some injector cleaner?

Do you have more info on the lt1's that you used? Were they 19#, or did you need bigger ones for your stroker? Cause i need 19#'ers

As long as you don't go too much bigger (not past 22-23#/hour, I'd think,) your system should be able to correct for the higher delivery with a shorter pulse. You'll run a little richer in open loop, but that should clean up once the ECU gets the feedback signal from the HEGO and starts to trim fuel delivery.

If you get stupid with a bigger injector (past 23#/hour or so,) you're going to have trouble and the system won't be able to correct - but below that should be fine. Honestly, I'd say that 18-23# should work, since injectors are rated at a given pressure (which can be corrected for mathematically) and a given duty cycle (typically 80%) - so there's some "cushion" there.

I think the LT1 injectors are also the "four-hole" jobs that atomise the fuel rather more finely, so you're going to get more efficient combustion (fuel combustion is highly dependend upon atomisation - the finer the droplets, the better and faster they'll burn,) which may translate into a slight economy bump as well.

Back