• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5" lift, whats needed

bigsliks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 xj all stock right now.

so far I have this but not installed yet:

3" lift coils
2" spacers
longer shocks
leaf springs for the back
31"x11.50's

so a couple ?'s

1. do I need a drop bracket for the track bar?
2. do I need a drop pitman arm?
3. how much should I drop the transfer case?
4. If I only lift it 3" will I need a pitman arm, track bar, or drop transfer case?

thanks

if your gonna go five youre gonna have a pretty crappy ride if you keep the stock LCA's. You need to get an adjustable Trackbar. You dont need a drop pitman. 31's or gonna look a lil small with that much lift. And to do it right you should do a SYE.
Now if you only go 3 inches you you can get a way with not doin much else.

Ok, i just got logged out while typing... so time for a quick verstion of what I had...
I run a 3.5 in BDS lift with 33x12.50 baja radial mtx's

track bar.. you will need a relocation bracket, although I recomend an adj trackbar. I have a bracket and I am waiting for a paycheck to get an adjustable one myself. Stress is reduced since the bracket just creates more stress points. That and my bracket I have had for 6 months now clunks every time I turn, and if i tighten it its just a matter of time before it does it again, and I did the install correctly.. they are kinda just a POS.

drop pitman arm... no at 3", I didnt at 3.5", at 5, I am not sure

Transfer case... dependant on vehicle. I never installed my supplied drop at 3.5 in and I have no vibs from it. My friend needed one at 3" so it completely depends on your vehicle. at 5 in I woudl recomend a SYE over a drop.

I would say to stay with 3 in. keep the center of gravity as low as possible, better on and off road performance, you can def fit the tires under it with minor fender trimming as needed, like I said, I have 33x12.50s on 3.5 in of lift, I need to do more trimming, but it rides fine and wheels great too so far. I woudl never go more than 4.5 in myself (well, maybe 5") if done right you can fit 35s on a 4.5 in lift, keeping the C.O.O. as low as possible but also having the tires to get you through almost anything. Stick with 3 in for now, if you need more, then you can add more later, although I dont think you will really need it.

Scott

So if I just go with a 3" I shouldn't need a drop pitman arm.
but will need a track bar bracket or new track bar?

Themangeraaad, how low is the supplied transfer case drop that came with your kit drop your transfer case?

thanks guys

Look at the RE 4.5" thats what you need. LCAs, adj. UCAs, hd tracbar and bracket should be added.

The drop is maybe an inch if that. Not exactly sure. In refrence to zachman, LCAs and UCAs are not necesary. They are nice, but if you go 3" you dont need them.

I think I will go 3.5", I'll just chop the spacers. I do have aftermarket LCA's, just my friend will have them for a couple weeks.

So with the 3.5 inch lift will I have to do anything to my track bar? and will I have to do a wheel alignment? and is there not a home job alignment I can do?

thanks

I put a 2 1/4" lift on my 89 XJ and didi the toe adjustment myself, but still didnt fell right.
I brought it to an alignment shop, and i think they had to adjust caster(the adgustment on the LCA's) and it drives great now, eventhough i plan to replace the LCA's with aftermarket ones, My stock ones hit the mount all the time.

You can do an allignment on your own at home, but personally I dont becuase I dont think its worth the time and aggrivation unless you know exactly what you are doing. I have an idea and I could try and actually have exp doing it, but then again you have to think about it in terms of if you dont end up doing it right, then you will be paying somoene in the end anyway. At 3.5 in you will need a trackbar relocation bracket but I emphasize that you should get an adjustable trackbar, then if you decide to go more lift you will be able to adjust it to the proper length, and it is MUCH better than a bracket. At 3.5 in you might not need transfer case drop though, like I said before, all depends on your rig. I woudl install 3 in, if you think you want hte extra .5 in then install it, but I would save or sell the spacers, then if you do want to go to 5in later you already have the spacers.

Scott

just got home home, I put the 3" lift in. I'm very happy with it.
I didn't have the drop bracket but I did relocate the track bar as per the instructions on GOJEEP which I figure is a better way of doing it anyways, I made longer swaybar link and droped the brack lines in the front. I do have a little vidration in the drive line so I am going to put a transfer case drop in.I do however now have a crasy death wobble at like 60mph so I will look into that.

thanks for the info guys.

bigsliks said:
5" lift, whats needed
This can be answered with one word:

MONEY
:D

Back