• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Allen head Bolt size

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to go with some allen head bolts in my Diff cover.
What is the correct size allen bolt for a Dana 44 diff cover and do
they make stainless ones.
Yes I searched. No sizes listed. :helpme:
Thank you ;)

For at least the D30, D35, and D44, the size of the bolt is 5/16 - 18TPI. It is probably the same for the 8.25 as well...

The length you need will depend on the thickness of the cover you have. For the stock cover (thick or thin), 5/8" works fine.

I got mine in 18-8 Stainless from McMaster in a Pack of 50 for less than $10...

Travis

Shouldn't matter too much. I'm not sure about the D44, but the D30 and D35 take 5/16-18x1/2" or 5/16-18x3/4". If the D44 is the same, there you go (and if you would confirm that after you get them, I would greatly appreciate it.)

Check Fastenal (www.fastenal.com) and MSC Direct (www.mscdirect.com) for CRES Socket Head Capscrews - they're the first two places that come to mind.

If you're only worried about corrosion, there are other options for you as well. Since the preload torque is so low on these bolts, there is no reason whatever why you wouldn't be able to use brass or bronze - and those can be had from Fastenal in hex heads and screwdriver type (probably pan head,) and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find socket heads as well.

Do bear in mind that a socket head usually protrudes more than a comparable hex head or pan head - and plan accordingly. The socket heads are designed to go into counterbores - and counterbores are planned to be deep enough to fully accept the height of the head. You Have Been Warned.

5-90

Ask Porch Puppy about the socket head bolts. :D

standard

He has a diff ring that you have to use them and I believe they were giving him fits also. The allen hole smashes shut easily and then you can't get them off.

I have thought about using them also but after watching Andy have to deal with his I think I'll just stay with ground off bolt heads. I helped by telling him a 1000 times how it sucked watching him do that on the trail.

35" Creepy's

Lincoln said:
Ask Porch Puppy about the socket head bolts. :D

standard

He has a diff ring that you have to use them and I believe they were giving him fits also. The allen hole smashes shut easily and then you can't get them off.

I have thought about using them also but after watching Andy have to deal with his I think I'll just stay with ground off bolt heads. I helped by telling him a 1000 times how it sucked watching him do that on the trail.
Shit, I never thought about that. I'm gonna have to ponder this one. I have already did it, but I really don't want to go through that.
Hey Lincoln let me know what you run into out at LT if you go Sunday.
Thanks !

boise49ers said:
Shit, I never thought about that. I'm gonna have to ponder this one. I have already did it, but I really don't want to go through that.
Hey Lincoln let me know what you run into out at LT if you go Sunday.
Thanks !

I'm trying to find a ride along right now. Plan on being there by 5:00 am and do meat grinder or carnage then go take a look at the damage.

Back