• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transer Case Rebuild cost. . .

Supple1

NAXJA Forum User
How much should a transfer case rebuild cost? Already has SYE installed. What if I decided to add the 2WD Low Range Kit during the process???

Thanks!!!

I just rebuilt mine. Rebuild kit, new chain, new rear sye bearing & seal and new bearing plates for the low range gear. Cost $240.00 including shipping. Took about 8-10 hours to remove, rebuild and re-install. Had to have the front yoke pilot bearing pulled by a shop. It was stuck tight and took two of us with the right tool about 15 Minuit's to remove. I knew the guy, so it was free.

Midnight Krawler said:
I just rebuilt mine. Rebuild kit, new chain, new rear sye bearing & seal and new bearing plates for the low range gear. Cost $240.00 including shipping. Took about 8-10 hours to remove, rebuild and re-install. Had to have the front yoke pilot bearing pulled by a shop. It was stuck tight and took two of us with the right tool about 15 Minuit's to remove. I knew the guy, so it was free.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but:

1) When you say "pilot bearing", are you referring to the front or rear bearing for the front output shaft....

2) If you are talking about the rear (the bearing in the rear half of the case), what exactly is the right tool, and how did you get that sucker out! That ***** is killing me!

A collet puller is the proper method,but many have done it with a hammer/chisel.You just destroy the bearing until it comes apart!

RCP Phx said:
A collet puller is the proper method,but many have done it with a hammer/chisel.You just destroy the bearing until it comes apart!

I was afraid of doing that (destroying the bearing) cause the case is softer than the bearing...

try heating the case and using a slide hammer from harbor frieght for like 15 bucks. I haven't done this job since I haven't picked up my xj yet but that's what I'd do

Back