• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a shock mount welded on.....

ruggedjeep

NAXJA Forum User
in exchange for beer or whatever else you eat or drink or.....
I broke off the rear lower mount off the axle. I called shockwarehouse where i originally purchased the shock and they do not warranty 5150's beacuse they are an "off road" shock. So i ordered one that should arrive thursday or Friday. Anyone have some time to do a few quick welds??
DSCN1232.jpg

Jump This said:
My garage is always open for fellow XJers.
Rick R:flame:
Except if he drives out to your place he won't need to weld it. All he will have to do is leave it in the sun for a bit till it starts to melt and then just hold it against the axle and pour cold water on it to fuse it all back together :D

I have a 135 amp mig your welcome to use. My wife is gone till late Friday so the garage is open. I'll trade some wrenchin for welding. My welds will hold but they're not that pretty :)
Aaron

Kejtar said:
Except if he drives out to your place he won't need to weld it. All he will have to do is leave it in the sun for a bit till it starts to melt and then just hold it against the axle and pour cold water on it to fuse it all back together :D

We refer to summer work in the garage as 'heat treating'...
:D

ruggedjeep said:
Thanks for all the offers guys, i guess is should have posted my schedule, i work mon-fri 9-6 dont get home till 7pm. I havent even had time to grind off and clean it off the axle

Your welcome to come over if you like, I just got done doing some shock mounts on my rear 44 last week. I will be off on Friday and Monday. Just let me know.

I'd be happy to do it for you if you want to drive down to Lakewood. From the looks of the pic that you posted in the other thread, there was practically no penetration on the weld. JB weld would have probably done a better job.;)
And it was cool wheelin' with you guys.

Kyung

This is what I did to my rear shock mounts:

RearAxleShockMount001.jpg

RearAxleShockMount002.jpg

We can always to the same to yours but it will take some time plan on at least half day.

Joe said:
This is what I did to my rear shock mounts:

RearAxleShockMount001.jpg

RearAxleShockMount002.jpg

We can always to the same to yours but it will take some time plan on at least half day.

Have you flexed the rear out yet? I would think the shock would bind up in the mount when articulating...........

-Mike

Mike L said:
Have you flexed the rear out yet? I would think the shock would bind up in the mount when articulating...........

-Mike

No bind at all because the upper mount is also custom, I don't have a picture but it is the oppisite direction. Thanks for pointing it out though Mike.

ruggedjeep said:
Thanks alot for your help today Joe. As im typing this i have an ice pack on my left hand, fingers are burning pretty bad. :eeks1:
Glad to have helped and as soon a Swap opens will take a trip. Keep me posted on the Big Bear trip. I am installing the last shock and should be done with in the hour.

Back