• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken glass everywhere

mark

NAXJA Forum User
ok, how do i go about putting new glass in the drivers side front door? due to a garage mishap, the thing busted a little bit ago, and im gonna run to the junk yard one day this week and grab one from a door out there, but my questions are how do i get it out of the other door without breaking it, and that will pretty much answer how i can put it in mine, thanks
mark
(90 4door)

Here's what the FSM says (with notes of mine added) - I've never done it on an XJ, though I've done vent windows, but it sounds simple enough:

1 - REmove the door trim panel and waterdam (i.e. the plastic).

2 - Remove the window glass channel hardware, beltline molding and weatherstrip seals. (my note - this means you pull the "aft" channel fuzzy seal out of doorframe. The forward channel seal is part of the vent window assembly. The Beltline molding is held on by clips to the door metal, which require some care in pulling out)

3 - Remove the glass channel bottom screw (that's the screw that holds the bottom of the forward channel that is part of the vent window assembly)

4 - Remove the regulator-to-window glass screw, bushing and retainer.

5 - Lift the glass upward and out of door.

thanks matthew, sounds easy enough, ill get to try it tomorrow afternoon i guess, if anyone has any more helpful hints, please chime in
thanks
mark

Back