• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas where oil should be,

Geepfreak

NAXJA Forum User
pulled the dipstick, and wow!!!Would there be anyother cause for gas in Oil, other than the fuel pump.:dunno:

85, 2.5, 4cyl.

Thanks a bunch you guys!, You're Swell..

:D

Last edited:
The fuel pump would have nothing to do with gas in the oil...

Do you actually have gas in the oil, or just the smell in the oil? Worn cylinder walls or piston rings would result in blowby that can cause gas to get past the rings and into the oil pan when it gets bad enough.

anony91xj said:
The fuel pump would have nothing to do with gas in the oil...
Incorrect..When a mechanical pump fails, it can leak gas into your engine, thinning the oil and eventually destroying your engine. It can also leak externally and cause a fire.
anony91xj said:
Do you actually have gas in the oil, or just the smell in the oil? Worn cylinder walls or piston rings would result in blowby that can cause gas to get past the rings and into the oil pan when it gets bad enough.

There IS gas in the oil. compression is with-in specs, so really not likely cylinders or rings.

Yes,fuel pump with bad diaphram or carb with a stuck needle or bad float.
Wayne

So if you catch something like that soon enough can you just deal with the carb or pump issues and move on? Are you going to have to pull the motor and do a major job Freak?

riverfever said:
So if you catch something like that soon enough can you just deal with the carb or pump issues and move on? Are you going to have to pull the motor and do a major job Freak?

The engine only has about 15K on it, the Carb was just R&R'd, original, So I will be replacing the fuel pump and the Carb(rebuilding it). I think I caught this quick enough(changed the oil about 2 weeks ago with no gas) to throw some new oil in, twice, filter, twice and some additive, and check it daily.

Running like that risks explosion or fire. It also wears the rings quickly. Find the problem, fix it. Do an oil change and hope for the best.

The easiest way to determine which is causing the problem is to look at the tail pipe. If it is really black and sooty, your carb is flooding. That is a Carter YFA.

You can also pull the plugs and look for the color. If they are nice and light colored, it will most likely be the pump.

If you are running so rich as to flood gas in the engine, I would expect that the performance would really suck.

old_man said:
Running like that risks explosion or fire. It also wears the rings quickly. Find the problem, fix it. Do an oil change and hope for the best.

The easiest way to determine which is causing the problem is to look at the tail pipe. If it is really black and sooty, your carb is flooding. That is a Carter YFA.
It's not black, but there is color to it.

old_man said:
You can also pull the plugs and look for the color. If they are nice and light colored, it will most likely be the pump.
The pump is my guess.
old_man said:
If you are running so rich as to flood gas in the engine, I would expect that the performance would really suck.

It hasn't been flooding, but it could be running better. But as to your first response, I'm going to do both the pump and Carb.

Actually it was nice reading about your problems. Here I am moaning about that crap over in OT and you're looking at something that would really be a problem. That really is a problem...sorry. Hope you get it sourced man.

If the carb float or needle sticks open the gas will still pour in after the motor if off.Residual pressure in the line from the pump to carb will push the gas thru.
Any other issues like a long crank period or lots of black smoke at start -up ?
Wayne

To put a final on this,

It was in fact the fuel pump causing the problem, Went ahead and rebuilt the carb anyway, runs pretty damn good now.:D I will hope that the only damage it caused was just cleaning the cylinders to shiney color.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back