• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine skid

do you have any other armor such as tcase skid and gas tank skid? If not, yer better off protecting those first. The engine is well protected by having the front axle underneath it.

no other skids i do have the rustys offroad 1" drop crossmember also. im kinda lookin for protection against water from normal use. havent really wheeled my jeep yet

Protection against water? I'm not sure what you mean by that. A skid plate isn't going to protect you against water, unless maybe you're talking about simple road splash from when it's raining. But then, that kind of road splash really isn't a problem, and the cost of an engine skid to protect from it is a bit like using a bazooka to swat a fly.

As for actual skid protection, the first thing to worry about is your gas tank. Then consider differential protection, rocker panel protection, transfer case protection, and after all of THAT you might want to consider an engine skid plate.

I was able to outfit my rig with Engine skid, gas tank skid (most vulnerable IMHO) and transfer case skid for about $100 at J&W in Roseville, CA. Pretty much a "deli" for Jeeps of all kinds. Probably about 4 acres of XJs alone.

if you're just looking for splash protection, many XJs came with a rubber splash guard under the engine. mine was held to the frame rails by those plastic nail things, and to the front crossmember behind the bumper. started sagging a couple months ago and I ripped it out. then, 3 weeks ago, I fried my alternator by splashing some mud up into it. figures, don't it? :) if you've got some free time, you could probably sketch out a template and cut some rubber and make your own splash guard. I think the stock one was 1/8" thick, maybe a little more.

fwiw, when I'm wheeling, I usually hit the crossmember. haven't touched the gas tank yet.

Back