• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I tell what transmission I have?

wrx580

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ 4.0L that was available with either the Aisin 5 speed and the Peugot 5 speed. What is the quickest way to tell which one I have? I need to replace it, and I need to know what to tell the salvage yard. Thanks!

if it needs replacing its a pug.... nah for real though the Peugeot is split down the middle (2 halves)

1989XJ...

AMC 2.46L I4 came with the Aisin AX-4 (four-speed manual) or AisinAX-5 (five-speed manual.) The AMC 4.0L I6 came with either the Peugeot BA-10/5 five-speed manual (early) or the Aisin AX-15 five-speed manual (late.) The two may be readily differentiated by checking for a longwise parting line down the bottom of the case (BA-10/5,) while the AX-15 is comprised of a "segmented" case - an intermediate case, a forward case, and a tailshaft housing or transfer case adapter. Both feature removable bellhousings.

Either engine had the Aisin/Warner AW4 automatic as well - a rock solid four-speed slushbox.

5-90

Back